• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Brake Conversion to Disc. on '69 GTX-Help with bearings/Hubs

JakeMA33

Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
Converting my '69 GTX to front disc brakes. Trying to use unknown restored/Rebuilt KH calipers and bracketry, and spindles. I ordered a hub and bearing kit from Year One and the bearings are much much too small. I think the YearOne hubs/bearings I ordered are for a 4 caliper system. pics attached Any help greatly appreciated hoping to identify what these brake parts/spindles are for would be great. Then maybe I can order the correct hub and bearings.
Caliper Part numbers: 5430B 3880 584
No part numbers on Spindle and faint part numbers on the brackets. Lots of Pentistars
EE0D9BBF-5F9E-4A6A-9029-F59697991FFB.jpeg
206A4DCA-C01B-462D-9194-FDCD4BC645F3.jpeg
392484C9-AD63-4327-854F-ECDC7D48307B.jpeg
2FE3653E-F34C-4495-BE3B-10650EF64FA0.jpeg
5ECF6AA0-2438-48A4-9F15-292628A7D7D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Think there two different spindle axle diameters. I know somebody will later today.

Spindles look like 73 up A and E body. They use Timken SET2 and SET17 Bearings, and inner seal 5121. Just converted my 71 with these.

Houston, we have a problem. It has been a while since I provided an update on the GTX. Still on jackstands, but the motor now turns over with the starter. Link to blog build here

Still having a disc brake conversion problem. Yes I should have just bought a new conversion kit. Was stuck on using an existing set of calipers and spindles. For those chuckling in the cheap seats, including myself, the wheels do not turn inward past center. The calipers I had rebuilt and restored but the lower control arm swap bar mount. Anyone have any ideas what calipers I can replace these with that will bold onto my brackets that are not so large? pics attached

5D79BF69-6488-43DF-845C-12A25EBA746A.jpeg

DC3CB993-518A-4C6F-8452-9F7AD1F0B24A.jpeg

D3E9A653-9E02-4A99-B07F-F15E46EF4B5B.jpeg

B4698ECA-35B0-498A-AF07-43CB8C861305.jpeg

You need to mount those calipers on the rear side to clear the sway bar brackets. Swap the spindles side to side and you're good to go. Careful with hose routing.

The Mopar Action "disc-o-tech" article would be very helpful.

You need to mount those calipers on the rear side to clear the sway bar brackets. Swap the spindles side to side and you're good to go. Careful with hose routing.

The Mopar Action "disc-o-tech" article would be very helpful.

[/URL]
Agree with this assessment. I did this very thing on an A-body. Dr. Diff has brake hoses specifically meant for mounting calipers to the rear if you check with him.

Wow, thank you, I was not expecting this solution at all. I am very appreciative and look forward to giving this a try.

Wow, thank you, I was not expecting this solution at all. I am very appreciative and look forward to giving this a try.
Greetings, I did get the brake calipers swapped from side to side and rebuilt the lower control arms awe well with a PST kit. Emailing Dr. Diff on the short brake line hoses.
I have one side of the lower control arm bolt turning within the new poly bushing sleeve when tightening the nut, before and after adding grease and with the weight of the car. Not sure now to resolve this.
Also got the new wheels and tires on the car for the first time. Lots more to do. Build Blog here. '69 Plymouth GTX - jakesgeneralstore.com

E38EB076-3F74-4F00-AA53-D6BB36E7AC8F.jpeg

I have one side of the lower control arm bolt turning within the new poly bushing sleeve when tightening the nut, before and after adding grease and with the weight of the car. Not sure now to resolve this.
You throw away that PST polyurethane **** and you install stock-type rubber bushings. And don't grease the ******* things !!

You throw away that PST polyurethane **** and you install stock-type rubber bushings. And don't grease the ******* things !!
Have to admit, I was not a fan of the polyurethane parts either. The rubber bushings worked fine without all the damn creaking.

Auto Transport Service
Back