• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front bumper mount swap 1972 into 1973 Charger

MorePower340

Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the 72 bumper mounts that I need to install to remove the gap between fender and bumper on my 1973 Charger Rallye. I also have the headlight cages, which are obviously shorter to allow the bumper to be pulled in. Problem is that the bolt holes do not line up, as seen in the picture (73 bracket on right, 72 on left). I’m not even sure looking at them side-by-side that the overall length is going to be that much shorter. Has anyone done this swap before and are there any suggestions before I just start drilling holes? Thanks!!

19FD60F4-0FD7-413B-AE47-20FBEFAF0AA3.jpeg F1B3690E-EFFD-43DF-9344-13B5189877C1.jpeg

Is not posible to fit 71/72 bumper brackets onto a 73/74 or backwards. The frame rails are at diff height due the K member isolation system on 73 so do the brackets get a diff shape.

The only solution is elongate the holes on your 73 brackets and get the bumper closer to the body to save the gap removing the Bumper fillers. It has been made since ever on that way.

Rears are a diff story and can be used on any 71/74 according with your needs.

Headlight buckets/pedestals are the same between 71/72 and 73/74, EXCEPT those 71/72 with hideaways which are shorter to get more room for hideaway doors. If you got shorter pieces, it came from a Hideaways car.

As Nacho said slot your originals. Need about 3/4"

IMG_0902.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG

Thans for the information. Installing a set of 71-/72 hide away lights will require the 73/74 bumper brackets.

Thans for the information. Installing a set of 71-/72 hide away lights will require the 73/74 bumper brackets.

But also requires remove the lower reinforcement beam... and for safety get the 71/72 lower reinforcement which originally attachs to the inner Y brackets on them... this will also require drill couple of holes on those brackets.

Some 73/74s still got the 71/72 upper reinforcement beams with couple of hideaway grills provisions ( my 74 did ), but not everyone. This provisions can be made and welded on it thought! This is if you get the hideaways without any bumper beam but just the brackets setup

Auto Transport Service
Back