• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Disc Conversion Questions

67SniperHockey

Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, currently have 11" manual drum brakes on the front of my 67 R/T and looking at various Front Disc Brake Conversion kits (have read through the numerous threads on the forum as well) and have a few questions.

1) Recommend the upgrade to power brakes with a booster? Or are there kits where you can keep the manual setup? Obviously I know power will be more responsive and easier - but worth the cost and headache of installing the booster in replacement of my stock manual setup?

2) Spindles. I've seen some kits that come with spindles (or get 73-74 front spindles?), and other kits that don't come with spindles and you can keep the stock 67 spindles is my understanding? Does it matter?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
This one has literally been done to death here.
I suggest you do your own research therefore - the FBBO Search Box:
search box.png

Hey guys, currently have 11" manual drum brakes on the front of my 67 R/T and looking at various Front Disc Brake Conversion kits (have read through the numerous threads on the forum as well) and have a few questions.

1) Recommend the upgrade to power brakes with a booster? Or are there kits where you can keep the manual setup? Obviously I know power will be more responsive and easier - but worth the cost and headache of installing the booster in replacement of my stock manual setup?

2) Spindles. I've seen some kits that come with spindles (or get 73-74 front spindles?), and other kits that don't come with spindles and you can keep the stock 67 spindles is my understanding? Does it matter?

Thanks guys!
Like Ed posted there are several threads on disc conversion.
The one I used is the non power , re use your spindles, (scare bird) set up.
The manual, non power has not been a problem at all. I'm happy with the set up and would do it again.
You can spend a few hundred or a few thousand. :lol:

Like Ed posted there are several threads on disc conversion.
The one I used is the non power , re use your spindles, (scare bird) set up.
The manual, non power has not been a problem at all. I'm happy with the set up and would do it again.
You can spend a few hundred or a few thousand. :lol:
Do you have a link to your setup?

Thanks!

Last edited:
i just did a manual conversion on my 67 Satellite. I bought the Right Stuff kit for my application. The only thing i did wrong was initially set the calipar to the rear (according to instructions) and it interfered with the shock and caused loss of brakes. Switching the calipar to the forward position created plenty of clearance. I also added a 10# residual valve after the proportioning valve based on Cass (DR. Diff) recommendation.

Yes, I saw that...
I also saw where the first couple questions you then immediately proceeded to ask were some of the most
commonly asked/answered ones.

That would be one of those that you would "have already read through":
Under $300 disc brake conversion.
Well I use the search function all the time before I post. So my apologies for trying to ask specific questions in 1 thread that are either scattered about in other threads or I simply did not find.

But hey, thanks for the advice. Guess I better search at nauseam before I shall ever dare post a new thread again sir.

Thanks for the link.

Well I use the search function all the time before I post. So my apologies for trying to ask specific questions in 1 thread that are either scattered about in other threads or I simply did not find.

But hey, thanks for the advice. Guess I better search at nauseam before I shall ever dare post a new thread again sir.

Thanks for the link.
Actually, my point is that the questions you've asked have been answered to death, both here and lots of other places
online, making them simple to find - and I suspect, you already knew the answers as well.
People should do their own due dilligence on such things, because there's going to be the entire spectrum
of opinions others will offer if asked and in the end, unless one persons' opinion is much more respected
than anyone else's, that's nothing more than chatter in the end.

Yes - there are kits that make use of your existing drum spindles....or come with new spindles if you like.
Yes - there are kits that don't require a booster in order to be effective - or you can add one if you like, too.
Yes - prices range wildly according to brand, type, all sorts of factors.
Only you can answer how much you can spend - how much mechanically you want to get involved with the
project - and ultimately, what your realistic expectations are for any improvements as a result.

There's a ton of kits out there, from a lot of different companies, offering lots of different ways to skin the same
cat (and none much more difficult than the other, since they're all doing the same things on the same parts of the
car) - but the dynamics of braking remain constant no matter which way you choose to go:
Swept area: more is better than less.
Disc vs. drums to begin with: each have their advantages, but generally accepted that discs are better at things like
fade and resistance to lock-up.
Prices: Cheap to brand name expensive, depending.
Only you can ultimately decide how far to take the project - and you would be wise to base your decision on tangible
facts, not so much assorted peoples' onions.
Do your due diligence (homework). Formulate comparisons of hard data. Consult the checkbook and wife.
The answer pretty much makes itself once all that is done.:thumbsup:

I used a Wilwood kit from Summit Racing (about $1,200). I’m running 17” wheels so clearance for the 12” rotors and 6-pot calipers was no problem, but you need to check that. The kit included all the small parts necessary for the install and the instructions were really good. I went directly to Wilwood for tech support and they were always friendly and helpful.

The kit required re-use of my existing spindles (which seem to be in really good shape) and did NOT include the master cylinder. I called Wilwood and they helped me select the right master cylinder for my set up. I took the part numbers and ordered through Summit.

All in all, that project went pretty well and I’m really happy with the results. It gave me the misplaced confidence to take on a transmission swap that should be complete this weekend.

Wiwood also front changed to disc. Easy change and using the manual brake revisor. Had to buy the line kit too hook the brakes up to my old lines coming from the old system. What a difference it made. No spindle change will work with the conversion. Summit racing for me also. Good luck and you won't be sorry. Thinking of changing the rear to disc also. This winter.

Look at youtube, watch some videos from Rammaninc. This guy is very knowledgeable on Mopar brakes. I ended up with a Right Stuff Kit I had purchased years ago,, but did not light the booster/master cylinder with that kit so I bought the Hemi booster from him. In the video he explains the math and pressures of manual vs power disc. I have that set up and I am pleased with it. With stock parts I can throw you into the dash if your unbelted. Just listen to the math and think about it. Use your own judgement to the combo

as to the combo use choose. I feel that Ican stop safely in my car, where before I had to leave room because of my long stopping distance.

I have Dr. Diff stage 2 11.75" front manual disc conversions on all 3 of my cars. No complaints.....

I would do the $300 mustang front brake conversion... cheap easy to get parts with OEM quality...

Do you have a link to your setup?

Thanks!
I see Ed put the link up for you. ( thanks Ed) .
One thing I will add is prices and parts availability have been changing.
I did my swap last Jan.
Also my 67s manual master cyl has worked fine, good feel to the pedal. Another member pointed out the fact that the 67 master does have a smaller resivor , I have a little over 1000 miles on my set up and am keeping a check on fluid level. For now I have not had to add any.

I am satisfied with the Dr Diff conversion and recommend you check out his products.

I used parts from a mid 70's A-Body. The only thing you needed to do was swap the knuckles side to side for caliper/shock clearance. Cost, $50 or less... :thumbsup:

Wiwood also front changed to disc. Easy change and using the manual brake revisor. Had to buy the line kit too hook the brakes up to my old lines coming from the old system. What a difference it made. No spindle change will work with the conversion. Summit racing for me also. Good luck and you won't be sorry. Thinking of changing the rear to disc also. This winter.
what master cyl did you use

Thanks for the link.
In actuality, asking questions, from quote more or less experienced people on this site is a benefit to many remaining on this site , unfortunately for others it appears to be a nuisance, and an interruption into their time of deep meditation! Most here , on this site are not on the edge and glad to help you anyway they can , for much positive and useful help and experience is readily , available! Just my opinion of Course , as well stated many times in the past , by some well informed, intelligent, individuals !

Auto Transport Service
Back