• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front disc conversion

Doorkicker

Local time
1:21 AM
Reaction score
Hey everybody, long time reader first time poster :)

First I just want you to know I did do some searches but I still struggle with finding kind of the answer I'm looking for so I would try my first post.

In short I'm looking to rebuild the front suspension of my 66 charger, and in the process convert the front from drum to disc brake. I'm not looking to spend a ton, but looking for some solid front disc brakes solutions. I'm probably going to need a new master and brake lines in the process. I'm already in the process of rebuilding the rear drums. Looking at just manual brakes.

Open to ideas and recommendations! Thank you in advance.

Welcome to FBBO (you DID post in the "Welcome Wagon" section, right?) !
You're correct - that question has probably been asked (and answered) to death,
not only on this forum but on the Net as well.
You have decisions to make before anyone can recommend something, honestly...
1. Do you want to use all Mopar factory components for the conversion?
2. What size wheels are you going to be using?
3. Are you wanting something that utilizes your stock drum spindles, or are you ok
swapping out spindles as well?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn2.hubspot.net%2Fhubfs%2F3354543%2Fmpbrakes%2520Dec2017%2Fmpbrakes2017catalogMin.pdf%3F__hstc%3D%26__hssc%3D%26hsCtaTracking%3D02cf83ea-3412-47a1-959a-9785e9363065%257C338b169b-ff52-4ac3-a4e9-8486805e976a&clen=81594904&chunk=true
That's not going to work, sir. Not a valid link.

I bought Right Stuff Kits for my '63 & '65. Fairly priced, seem decent, and they may still have Free Shipping ?

Welcome to FBBO (you DID post in the "Welcome Wagon" section, right?) !
You're correct - that question has probably been asked (and answered) to death,
not only on this forum but on the Net as well.
You have decisions to make before anyone can recommend something, honestly...
1. Do you want to use all Mopar factory components for the conversion?
2. What size wheels are you going to be using?
3. Are you wanting something that utilizes your stock drum spindles, or are you ok
swapping out spindles as well?

Hi,
Yep... Got a lot of great feedback from the welcome wagon!

I did see a lot of stuff on conversion but had difficulty tracking.

Doesn't need to be Mopar/original parts.

Smallest wheel is 15". Id prefer to stay there to keep the muscle car look.

Great question. That's kinda a key point for me. In a perfect world, I'd run with new spindles. This barn find sat in water so not thrilled with what's on the car now. Unless it's bonkers $$$$ I'd run with new spindles and start strong.

Thank you!!

Hi,
Yep... Got a lot of great feedback from the welcome wagon!
I did see a lot of stuff on conversion but had difficulty tracking.
Doesn't need to be Mopar/original parts.
Smallest wheel is 15". Id prefer to stay there to keep the muscle car look.
Great question. That's kinda a key point for me. In a perfect world, I'd run with new spindles. This barn find sat in water so not thrilled with what's on the car now. Unless it's bonkers $$$$ I'd run with new spindles and start strong.
Thank you!!
Ok, if you'd like to put together a setup with factory parts, you should start with reading the article
entitled "Disc-O-Tech" by Rick Ehrenberg - this is a famous (within Mopar circles) article that who I refer to
as "the Professor" wrote some years ago (he's an acknowledged Mopar expert, been at it since the 60's!).
It's chock full of information on Mopar brakes - and what it takes to replace drums with discs using Mopar
parts (the sort you can fetch from junkyards or parts cars):
https://www.allpar.com/threads/disc-o-tech-stop-on-a-dime.237038/#post-1085245451
If nothing else, it's quite the educational piece.

If using the drum spindles on the car now matter to you, companies like Wilwood and Leed make conversion
kits that work with the spindles you already have - and keep in mind that if you decide to swap spindles as
well, they're almost certain to be made in China - and there have been reports of those failing sometimes.
Dr. Diff also has kits that do this and comes highly recommended here on FBBO.
You have less choices if sticking with drum spindles, but they're out there.

If you don't mind swapping spindles, the world is your oyster - there are dozens of choices of kits that
include spindles and some are even cheaper than those using stock spindles (Chinese, remember).
One of FBBO's sponsors is PST (Performance Suspension Technology) @PST - they have all sorts of
kits for conversions and are typically pretty quick at answering messages here on the site, too.
15" wheels opens up the number of choices you have (not to mention, how big a rotor you can run).
Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back