• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front doors don't latch 71 Satellite wagon

Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
Both the front doors on 71 Satellite wagon do not latch, and haven't since I picked up the car. On another Mopar I've worked on (68 Charger), the front doors stuck closed often, but latched most of the time. I'd like to get her fully operational and drive it regularly! Any input is appreciated!

Might need to remove them, soak in some kerosene/diesel to dissolve any built up goo and see if they work from there. Years of built up lube can harden up and need to be removed. Have to watch what you use for cleaning as some stuff will eat any plastic parts in the latch.

WD40 is not your friend. Use a quality lubricant. Don't use white lithium grease in a spray can. Generally you get what you pay for. Don't buy it at an auto parts store, way overpriced unless on sale.
Tri flow
Kroil
Etc.

Looks like your car was sitting. That's bad for operation of the latches, they get crusty, so they need cleaned first, then lubed.

D272D6B9-2519-49B2-8483-E2FCD78D8B76.jpeg

E830FD8C-9B5E-43EC-A1AE-A3EC7C2A9D23.jpeg

Kroil is my go to, they say acetone and trans fluid with a 50/50 mix works better but I haven’t tried it.

There is a plastic block in the latch that is spring loaded and slides back and forth, find that amd make sure it's moving free.

Auto Transport Service
Back