• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front drum wheel cylinders

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to bleed my front brakes on my 68 GTX and am finding that these wheel cylinders that I bought from
Rock Auto have the bleeder screw threaded hole at a bad angle. There is no room between the bleeder screw and
the spindle to get a wrench on it or a hose for that matter! If the hole was clocked another ten degrees towards
the front of the car it would be fine, but as it is it won't work. I'm looking for longer bleeder screws and maybe
grind a smidgeon on the spindle for clearance. It's always something! Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks!
20240212_145600.jpg

Don't grind the spindle.

Use a 1/4" drive socket and extension on the bleeder.screw.

And the factory parts fit like this also.

Can't get a 1/4" drive thin wall socket on the darned thing! Even if I could, I have to put a hose
on the screw and a wrench to loosen and tighten it. Maybe look for N.O.S. wheel cylinders.

Yeah, Maybe I'll have to make a wrench up like that! But I'll still have to grind clearance for the hose to slip on. Thanks!

Come on.. you can do it! LOL Soft aquarium air line hose works.. I had to use it to get the bleeder started into the cylinder.
beerestoration2018 2108.JPG

You can do some 'minor' grinding on the knuckle but don't go nuts on it......smoothing the edges never hurt anything.

Yeah, that last photo is it! I really thought that they mis-machined the darned thing!
O.K. Guys, I'll bend up a wrench tomorrow and have at it. Thanks for the help.

Dadsbee’s suggestion is a good one. Done that, works great. Also, I picked up one of these awhile back, used for a couple bucks. Fits nicely into that tight angled spot…..jim
202658CF-5DA7-457C-9283-B582D2042B9B.jpeg

Believe it or not, I have a bleeder wrench like that and it won't clear! Thanks!
20240212_145611.jpg
yl8i9mgw.png

So, I'm trying to bleed my front brakes on my 68 GTX and am finding that these wheel cylinders that I bought from
Rock Auto have the bleeder screw threaded hole at a bad angle. There is no room between the bleeder screw and
the spindle to get a wrench on it or a hose for that matter! If the hole was clocked another ten degrees towards
the front of the car it would be fine, but as it is it won't work. I'm looking for longer bleeder screws and maybe
grind a smidgeon on the spindle for clearance. It's always something! Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks!View attachment 1608130
That's why they make brake bleeder wrenches. Brake bleeders have been in the wrong place for decades. figure out the size and go from there.

So I "got-er-done". I ended up grinding a smidgeon off of the spindle to clear the bent box wrench that
you showed me. There was no other way! Funny thing is, I used a Mighty-Vac to pull the fluid through
the Master cylinder, and when I was done, I put a hose on the fittings and let gravity do it's job! From a
new dry system, it took exactly a half-quart of DOT 5 to fill everything.
Now on to my next adventure! I needed a new Zinc plated cover, clamp, and bolt for my 2660809 Master
cylinder and PG Classics and some others want almost $100.00 for them! I found a vender on Flea-Bay,
"Pirate Jack" that sells the master with the cover, clamp, and bolt for $64.99. WINNER! Brakes done!
Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back