• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New back brake drum wheel cylinders

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Can you replace the back drum wheel cylinders without taking off the brake shoes? If so, how would you do it?

Thanks!

I suppose you could if you pulled the axles. Even then it would be a wrestling match. Taking the shoes off and back on takes maybe 10 minutes on a bad day.

I suppose you could if you pulled the axles. Even then it would be a wrestling match. Taking the shoes off and back on takes maybe 10 minutes on a bad day.
10 Minutes if you know what your doing, so that means it will take me all day...LOL

10 Minutes if you know what your doing, so that means it will take me all day...LOL
Just a tip, your 1st time just do one side so you have the other for referance. Or take a picture of the hardware and springs on the plate.

Take pictures on one side unassembled. then take apart the other side while laying down all the parts in the same formations as they are on the backing plate, that way it gives you a guide to where things go back. If lost with the parts, you can always refer back to the picture of the assemble intact.

Take pictures on one side unassembled. then take apart the other side while laying down all the parts in the same formations as they are on the backing plate, that way it gives you a guide to where things go back. If lost with the parts, you can always refer back to the picture of the assemble intact.
Good idea, thanks!

:drinks: Also when you look at your new shoes. 2 will have a short pad/lining and 2 will be longer.
You need one of each for both sides.
Both short ones go on the forward side and longs to the rear.

Good idea, thanks!
Here’s one I took couple summers ago on mine before replacement

IMG_1598.png

Recently did my drum brakes for the 1st time ever. Take plenty of pictures before you start. little details like which spring gets hooked from the bottom of the stud while the other goes over the top will save you a lot of time. Don't sweat it, take your time and rely on the photos. Good Luck.

Watch a couple videos on how to use the tool with "buck-tooth" socket on the end. That tool is your friend when you remove and install the springs! :thumbsup:

Just a tip, your 1st time just do one side so you have the other for referance. Or take a picture of the hardware and springs on the plate.
My advice too. Do one side at a time. Plus might as well freshen up the brake shoes while you have it apart.

My advice too. Do one side at a time. Plus might as well freshen up the brake shoes while you have it apart.
Almost forgot make sure the adjusters adjusted and back out slowly or forward. Wouldn’t hurt to have a buddy help you. Second set of eyes

Auto Transport Service
Back