• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

front end black out paint

paul1969cars

Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone have a good picture of the black out paint applied to the radiator support and behind the lights of 1969 roadrunner. The factory painted this are black over the car color so when you look through the grill you dont see car paint color.

Thanks

I can't help you with a '69 specifically, but here are 2 pictures of my '70. Not the greatest pictures but it should give you the idea. The factory sprayed the blackout paint from underneath the car spraying upward. Being an assembly line, the painter wasn't too worried about perfection.

IMG_2232.JPG

IMGP0021.JPG

I’m still struggling with whether to black out or not, it’s been this way since the car was restored in 1988
Thoughts?
IMG_0714.jpeg

Struggling with the thought of painting the front black on my car also
I went and got some paint but just have not got around to doing it yet
i like looking at the green but know it will glow behind the grill when the car is all together

IMG_20230506_200205015.jpg

I know they were originally done in "flat" black but I'm doing mine in "Hot Rod black" along with the hood. Its a nice satin. Mine's not a restoration by any means.

I think the factory got it right with the "black out" paint.
The grille loses it's definition with light colour showing through.

Struggling with the thought of painting the front black on my car also
I went and got some paint but just have not got around to doing it yet
i like looking at the green but know it will glow behind the grill when the car is all together

View attachment 1464177
With that green, I think showing through the grille would be killer.

I’m still struggling with whether to black out or not, it’s been this way since the car was restored in 1988
Thoughts?
View attachment 1464166
Don’t know about 69, but as I understand, dark green, black, dark blue did not have blackout paint at least in 1967. There might have been one other colour. Can check it out if need be.

I am leaving mine with the color. Too pretty to cover up. My 68 had blackout before I got it painted, and I intended to black it out afterwards, but not now.

Took a lot of persuasion for me to do my Bee after paint, but sure glad I did. Even B5 gets black out!

I am leaving mine with the color. Too pretty to cover up. My 68 had blackout before I got it painted, and I intended to black it out afterwards, but not now.
Can't even see it...
20230304_161459.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back