• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front End Rebuild

Just guessing they either sprayed or dipped parts with cheapest chassis black they could purchase and adding a flattening agent to the paint would have increased it's cost. I suspect the gloss level varied quite a bit over time as suppliers brought in new paint materials from different sources.

I don't see it mentioned anywhere: is the PST stuff US made?

Some of it is, some isn't. But they buy from everyone else, so it doesn't seem like one company has all US made stuff.

Just guessing they either sprayed or dipped parts with cheapest chassis black they could purchase and adding a flattening agent to the paint would have increased it's cost. I suspect the gloss level varied quite a bit over time as suppliers brought in new paint materials from different sources.

I know the dipping part is usually shown with the torsion bars. The ones I've seen usually have drip marks on them.

It depends on the product. We have many items manufactured here as well as over seas. Here are just a few examples:

USA Products
Pivot Shaft
Torsion Bars (powder coated)
Fixed Tubular Arms (powder coated)
Adjustable Tubular Arms (powder coated)
Adjustable Strut Rods (powder coated)
Solid and Tubular Sway bars (powder coated)
Polygraphite Bushings
Polygraphite Motor Mounts
Stiffening Plates
Steering Columns
Steering boxes
Leaf springs
Spring Hangers
prebent brake lines
Wiring harness

Now for the others items like a front end components and steering components. These will vary as we purchase the component of the theses kit individually and assemble the kits in house. For this process we do use both state side and overseas manufacturers. But we have been using the same manufacturers for nearly 30 years and work closely with them to follow our QC standards so that we can continue to offer a Limited lifetime warranty for as long as you own your vehicle. If you ever have any questions about PST products please reach out to me.

Thanks
James

Thanks for the information, James! I'll be ordering the Super kit, just trying to decide between the polygraphite and rubber. I might need to get the lower control arm rebuild kit as well.....haven't really checked out the front end yet.

I order a kit from them and am in the middle of my front end rebuild. Let me know if you have any questions!

I prefer to the socket for installation and removal. Sometimes your local parts store will rent out the socket as well. I have also seen but would not recommend it people using pipe wrenches.

I cannot imagine getting those the upper BJs out with a pipe wrench unless they were just put in & then I doubt it. Ball joint socket & powerful impact, and it worked hard after soaking with PB for a few days. New ones went in just as hard.

There is no way there will be a local parts store having one of these for rent :)
So i am best of buying one together with the kit.
But what is it's purpose in removal/installation? Twist it? or something to pull/push with?

The ball joints screw in with interference threads. I used a 1/2 inch long break over bar and a piece of metal pipe on one side and thought I was going to rotate the whole car before it finally broke loose. On the other side I took my twin avil pneumatic impact gun and hit it for a couple seconds and it spun right out. Do yourself a favor and use the impact gun first.

Also, you want to remove these before your pull the control arm off of the vehicle so your have the weight of the vehicle to hold it securely.

Haha, yeah sometimes an impact gun does wonders!
Thanks for the good tips, i wil invest in some tools to do this job.

You should call your local garage or machine shop to see if they could replace the ball joints for you. That 1-15/16" socket and 3/4" x 36" breaker bar I bought was expensive. Plus, they're now in my "one time use" tool collection.

Last edited:
What type of socket is this anyway? Is it just a Hex size, 12 point?
I did not find a picture of the business end so far.
If this is a certain size hex i think a "cheapo" 1/2" drive socket from a local tool shop will do as well then.

Anyway when i get to doing this job i will require more equipment as a hydraulic press etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back