• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Frame Rail Question.

GTX 440

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
I need to replace the front frame rails on my 71 B body. I would be doing them one at a time. But my question is, Can I do it with the engine and transmission still in the car?
(Just support and unbolt the K Frame, when I get all the spot welds drilled out). I can remove in in chunks. But wondering if there is enough room to get the frame rail in place.

Maybe, but it would not be fun. Drilling all those welds out especially at the bottom of the inner fender, welding, and grinding it all down.... I would want to remove the engine and trans to have enough room to work. Don't want to find that out after you started. JMO.

I replaced a front rail in a cuda with the K frame in place, the K frame actually helps locate the Rail; I don't see how the engine could be in the way? I think most of the work can be done from the wheel side........ replacing the inner fender and shock tower with it is probably much easier....... are you using donor parts?

Have to ask, what is wrong with the rails in there now?

Looks like both sides rusted out just behind the K frame (where the rail bends downward). Someone tried to weld patches over them (and did a very poor job I might add).

Yes, I do have some clean donor parts to replace them with. I have never replaced a front rail before so I figured I would ask the ones who have been there before.

Looks like both sides rusted out just behind the K frame (where the rail bends downward). Someone tried to weld patches over them (and did a very poor job I might add).

Yes, I do have some clean donor parts to replace them with. I have never replaced a front rail before so I figured I would ask the ones who have been there before.

if your parts are a complete front clip, you can suspend or remove the engine and do it all in one piece......

sounds like a pain in the ***, but eliminates a lot of drilling and welding

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back