• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front lower control arm strut adjustment ?

rustytoolss

Local time
6:53 AM
Reaction score
Is there a specification/ adjustment for the front lower control arm strut ? Can the lower arm be move backwards to center tire better in wheel well...Just asking .

Normal conditions your strut and lower arm are fixed. What is your problem and the cars history? Pictures?

the FSM will provide the information necessary for wheel alignment. The only deviation I recommend is to adjust for slight negative camber ( -0.5* ) and as much positive caster ( 2*+ ) as possible. Check your strut rods for straightness,( as you would with a pushrod ), and check your k-frame for cupping at the strut mounting area.

Normal conditions your strut and lower arm are fixed. What is your problem and the cars history? Pictures?
no real problem..I have a 62 Fury. Just always thought that the placement of front wheels on those cars never looked right . The design makes the wheel look to far forward IMO.

no real problem..I have a 62 Fury. Just always thought that the placement of front wheels on those cars never looked right . The design makes the wheel look to far forward IMO.
That is indeed what the fellows that designed the styling were looking for.. the more centered the wheel is, the more it looks like a 4 year old drew up the design. Alot of chevies have the perfectly round , centered wheel look. Gross.

That is indeed what the fellows that designed the styling were looking for.. the more centered the wheel is, the more it looks like a 4 year old drew up the design. Alot of chevies have the perfectly round , centered wheel look. Gross.
like most all the mopars built after say 1967 ? wheel is far more centered..modern challengers/ chargers

like most all the mopars built after say 1967 ? wheel is far more centered..modern challengers/ chargers
Precisely. Not the greatest of pictures,, but we can see that there was zero design effort put into the new challengers wheel arch.
A wheel half circle, would be a better description.
Screenshot_20240128_112715_Chrome.jpg

This my sound strange and someone call me an idiot. In my opinion these cars needed more positive caster. When I align them I adjust them to the maximum caster I can get. The problem I run into is that moves the wheel back in the wheel well. If you are starting out with the wheel too fare forward in the wheel well adding positive caster will move the wheel back. Just a thought

This my sound strange and someone call me an idiot. In my opinion these cars needed more positive caster. When I align them I adjust them to the maximum caster I can get. The problem I run into is that moves the wheel back in the wheel well. If you are starting out with the wheel too fare forward in the wheel well adding positive caster will move the wheel back. Just a thought
Eggzackly

Shortening the distance would reduce positive caster. These cars don't have enough positive caster anyway. I trimmed the front lip on my sons 62 for tire clearance using 28" tall tires. It was easy.
Doig

42249.jpeg

42252.jpeg

Shortening the distance would reduce positive caster. These cars don't have enough positive caster anyway. I trimmed the front lip on my sons 62 for tire clearance using 28" tall tires. It was easy.
Doig

View attachment 1600124

View attachment 1600125
I've thought about that. But somehow this car has made it 62 years without some bonehead screwing it up...just kind of hate to be that guy.

Last edited:
Ok, I’ve got a question, what is the purpose of adjustable strut rods?

Make sure your strut rod rubbers are in good cond. If in doubt, replace.

Doig

View attachment 1600124

View attachment 1600125
FYI, I was not saying that by trimming your fender lip, you did a bonehead thing. (when I was racing I would have done that also.) My car is not a rare vehicle, just a solid old survivor. Just don't want to hack it up anymore than needed.

To free up the front end. U can squeeze a little caster with them.
Caster, not camber. Pulling the lower arm forward will increase positive caster, won't really affect camber much, if any.
What would be the better option, offset uca bushings or adjustable strut rods to gain a little caster?

What would be the better option, offset uca bushings or adjustable strut rods to gain a little caster?
The best option is control arms with adjustment, like the SPC uppers sold by Bergman, second best is offset bushings, last (and I wouldn't do it) would be using the strut rod.

This one got a squirt of primer and it was ready to go.
Doug

scott quaker.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back