• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Shock Question

Virg464

Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
Picked up a set of Lakewood 90/10 front shocks for my 66 coronet, ordered them from one of the online speed stores. The ad showed an open/empty eye ring for the lower mount but were also advertised to work with GM, and Ford, as well as MOPAR. They showed up with a rubber bushing and a pin/bar installed for mounting to GM or Ford lower control arms. Tried to call their tech support and ended up on perma-hold. So I pressed out one of the pins with my arbor press but I'm pretty sure the busing is too small for a sleeve and bolt. Did a little searching for mopar, lower front shock mounting hardware kits and didn't find anything.
Anyone got a kit name/part number they can share? I don't have any hardware from the previous shocks that might have been installed on the car, it was a rolling chassis when I got it.

Thanks

I just replaced my front shocks on my 66 Coronet with Monroe Gasmatics #32022 if that helps any.

If you can press the old sleeve out of the old shock and open up the rubber in the mount you might be able to get it to work. Is there enough rubber to take some out?

All the pics I see have nothing in the lower mount. Can you reuse the entire bushing from your old shocks?

I can't help with a part# but for my rear adjustables, I had to drive the bushing out of my existing shock and re-use it.
On the fronts, I simply ran a drill through it until the lower sleeve and bolt fit, done.
It's ain't enough that we have to pay more for "Mopar" but then the crap shows up and still doesn't fit!:BangHead:
Oh well that's hot-rodd'n.....

Last edited:
If you can press the old sleeve out of the old shock and open up the rubber in the mount you might be able to get it to work. Is there enough rubber to take some out?

All the pics I see have nothing in the lower mount. Can you reuse the entire bushing from your old shocks?
I could open up the bushing that is in the new shock, if needed. I don't have old shocks from the car, there weren't any installed when I got the car. I'm hoping to find a hardware kit with new bushings and a new sleeve, if possible.

I may just have to find steel sleeves at the hardware store and cut to length to fit the lower CA. I'll give the "cust support" line at speedway motors another shot on monday, see if someone answers the phone. :cursin:

You could buy a cheap set of shock from rock auto or Amazon and use the hardware

Auto Transport Service
Back