• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front speakers

volaredon

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
I have a 78 fury 2 door but not "sport" model.
I'm 2nd owner since new, I've had since 07.
It came with an AM radio, and single dash speaker.
I put a newer, stock Mopar radio in it from a 90s car shortly after I bought it.
I have an aftermarket Kenwood here, that I want to swap in. The face plate, the wiring adapters aren't a problem. I already wired in 80s/90s factory Mopar stereo pigtails to this car. Nothing on the dash, etc has been cut. I have the aftermarket face plate thing I'll need, to put this radio in like factory.

The question is, how/where can I add a couple of speakers to the front, without cutting?
In past years I've had a 75 Cordoba and a 76 charger SE as well as dad's 78 Monaco Crestwood wagon, which had twin factory front dash speakers. I think I still have the ones from dads wagon around here, somewhere.
In my high school days I would not have thought twice of cutting up a dash or door panels or kick panels/front foot well panels, to add speakers/ of course, most back then were like my fury, factory equipped with a single dash speaker.
But I want to add at least 2 speakers (of which I still have to buy) if not speakers with crossovers and tweeters. Not looking to add an amp or an EQ, anything like that.

I don't know if anything like this is still made, but in the day, I bought some small speakers in a wedge housing and mounted them under the front seats.

Not sure about the speaker size for your specific application, but check out the bottom two pictures in post 14 of the thread below. Two small (3-1/2”) coaxial speakers mounted to a single plate to fit in the location of your center speaker. I made my own, but they are available for some applications online/eBay. Keep the OEM speaker grille, mounting studs etc.

Aftermarket stereo's in a 71 B body

Auto Transport Service
Back