• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front suspension and steering 1970 Coronet

Coronet1970

Local time
2:38 AM
Reaction score
Hello from germany!!!
I have got a 1970 Coronet model 440 with a 340 engine.It is my baby and my daily driver in the summertime in used survivor condition.
The rear axle is "restored".New bushings on the leaf springs and shackles,new bearings,another ratio (from 2.76 to 3.21) ,a sure grip, aftermarket stabilizer (front and rear) and red KONI dampers.2" lowering block.
The cornering is much better than before!

In the wintertime i want to restore the front suspension and change from power to manual steering.All the bushings and most of the ball joints are extrem used.The bushings from the upper control arms are welded in.

The steering box is like all the other boxes after 40 years.Iam not realy sure if i should change from power to manual!?!?!?!?Can someone tell me about the driveability after the change?

Some questions:
-should i take PU bushings or the stock rubber bushings?
-tubular or stock upper control arms?
-should i change the torsion bars after 40 years?
-whats about droped spindels?

I will be thankfully about all your answers and ideas!

RENE

The bushings from the upper control arms are welded in.
I don't think the bushing should be welded in. They are pressed in into the upper control arm. Although I have a '67, they are the same, I think.

PU bushings improve cornering. Although I think you should take a normal rubber bush for the lower control arm. If not, you should buy a new pivot shaft with a grease fitting. Because if you don't grease the PU bush that well it's gonna squeak.

Maybe you should go for PU bushings on your leaf springs as well, if you don't have them already. That's also a big improvement.

Cheer, Remco

I would stay with the power steering unless you are after maximum power from the engine. Replace your worn out box with a rebuilt unit from www.firmfeel.com or www.steerandgear.com. I have the level 2 from Firm Feel and like the road feel it provides. Go with the Poly bushings and if you have it in your budget the tubular control arms will help with the alignment to allow better handling. Good luck and post some pics of your car. Ken

On the upper arms, are you referring to the bushing sleeve being welded in? I know some people will tack weld in the bushing sleeves. If you go with tubular UCA's, go with the firm feels. I ended up doing firm feel for my entire suspension, they are simply the best.

Thanks for the first answers!

-Whats about the torsion bars.
-Someone told me the polygraphite bushings should be better than the PUs.Because they should have something like a self lubrication?!?

Heres a pic from my Coronet.

Rene

Attachments

• 100_4572.jpg
    100_4572.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 272
I've heard the same thing about the polygraphite, which is what I went with. You still have to lube them though. It's that really thick, sticky Energy Suspension lube.

As long as your at it, I'd replace the torsion bars. Probably don't have to, but it can't hurt.

Auto Transport Service
Back