• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front tire size question

Pat70rr

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I'm in need of buying front tires I've been told I can get a 265 50 r15 up front which is what I want a tire that fills well up (A fat tire ) I was wondering if any out there have seen this done without issues veh is 70 roadrunner 15x8 cragar rim's
Thanks in advance
Pat

Owning a 70 Roadrunner, I'm 99% sure that tire won't fit up front....I mean, it would fit if you never want to turn your wheels, but driving the car, I don't think so.

I've come up with "roughly" a 28" diameter MAX tire up front & that's only on a stock steel wheel. It looks to me like a 235/70R15 (28" tall & 9-1/4" wide) is really pushing the limits of what will fit up front.

You can "sort of" get away with a tire hitting the frame while turning...sort of...but you can't get around front/rear corners of the wheel well opening cutting the tire, unless you're willing to modify the expensive & hard to find front fenders.

Owning a 70 Roadrunner, I'm 99% sure that tire won't fit up front....I mean, it would fit if you never want to turn your wheels, but driving the car, I don't think so.

I've come up with "roughly" a 28" diameter MAX tire up front & that's only on a stock steel wheel. It looks to me like a 235/70R15 (28" tall & 9-1/4" wide) is really pushing the limits of what will fit up front.

You can "sort of" get away with a tire hitting the frame while turning...sort of...but you can't get around front/rear corners of the wheel well opening cutting the tire, unless you're willing to modify the expensive & hard to find front fenders.
Thanks appreciate the help purple....will heed advice thank you

Thanks appreciate the help purple....will heed advice thank you
There are some real tire experts on this website....I just own a 70 RR & am putting new tires on it. Is it possible for you to get a set of 8" rims on the back & narrower up front? I "think" the original 70 RR optional wheels were 15"x7". A good starting point might be to see if you can figure out what tire size came on those wheels originally, then see if those same tires will fit on 8" rims?

I don't think height would be an issue, as a 265/50r15 is only 25.4" in diameter. My guess is that the width may become more of an issue for you. I have a friend that has a '70 Roadrunner and he is running 245/60-15 front and back. Those are 26.6" tall (based on the tire calculator I am looking at). The tires you are asking about are shorter than what he is running, but 20mm wider (245 vs 265).

My guess is you would have to be careful with your backspacing to get it just right so it doesn't hit at full turns.

Link to tire size calculator:
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

I don't think height would be an issue, as a 265/50r15 is only 25.4" in diameter. My guess is that the width may become more of an issue for you. I have a friend that has a '70 Roadrunner and he is running 245/60-15 front and back. Those are 26.6" tall (based on the tire calculator I am looking at). The tires you are asking about are shorter than what he is running, but 20mm wider (245 vs 265).

My guess is you would have to be careful with your backspacing to get it just right so it doesn't hit at full turns.

Link to tire size calculator:
https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Yes those were my original choice 245 yes my concern is the rub on turns , thanks.....

It will all hinge on the offset/back space dimensions. The other thing to think about is the stresses you will be putting on stock steering/suspension parts, bearings etc...

Well my backspace is 3" .... I'm leaning to the 245 60 15 play it safe

I have 235-60/15 on 15x7" front and 255-60/15 on 15x8" rear on my 70 Satellite. No clearance problems at all.

245/60/15 on 8" rims 4" backspace up front, no problems at all.
295/50/15 on 10" rims 5.5" backspace rear, no problems with 2 in the car, if you load the truck up, then they rub.

Auto Transport Service
Back