• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front wheel is loose

STREETREBEL

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Here's what my problem is.
On the passenger side of my 67 Belvedere.
After I jack the car up, I put one hand on top of the tire and one hand on the bottom, then try to shake it and there is no play.
Then I put one hand on the left side of the tire and one hand on the right side and shake it, and there is quite a bite of movement.
Thought someone could tell me what needs replaced!

Spindle nut not tight? Either or both ball joints worn? Tie rod end bad? etc. There is no magic internet answer. You gotta take the wheel off and inspect it.

Could be any of these tie rod ends idler arm or pitman arm. Maybe steering box play, a friend needs to wiggle and you watch.

Could be any of these tie rod ends idler arm or pitman arm. Maybe steering box play, a friend needs to wiggle and you watch.
Or, with the engine off, have a friend rock the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the steering components.

Time for a front-end rebuild. The complete kit isn't bad, but if you can't do it yourself it could get expensive. If you have any of the mentioned components bad, just spring for the complete rebuild as other things will follow.

I agree. Either tie rod ends or pitman arm. Follow the mentioned procedures and watch for movement in the steering parts.
Time for a front end rebuild. ruffcut

Auto Transport Service
Back