• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel bypass question

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
Using a mechanical pump on a 440 and using original 5/16 fuel line as a return. Thinking about using a filter with the return built in and also using the 5/16 line for a small electric pump to refill the carb on a hot soak. Any problem with connecting the the bypass line with the line from the electric fuel pump as it will only be used to refill the carbs on a hot soak? I would have to plumb the return line before the electric pump to allow fuel to resurk to the tank.

Using a mechanical pump on a 440 and using original 5/16 fuel line as a return. Thinking about using a filter with the return built in and also using the 5/16 line for a small electric pump to refill the carb on a hot soak. Any problem with connecting the the bypass line with the line from the electric fuel pump as it will only be used to refill the carbs on a hot soak? I would have to plumb the return line before the electric pump to allow fuel to resurk to the tank.
Also, has anyone used the driver side fuel fitting on a Holley as a return line?

I converted both a 1981 Imperial and a 1987 Dakota from fuel injection to carbs and used a fuel filter with 3 fittings. Third fitting became return back to tank in my application.
You could ' T ' your fuel line between electric pump and mechanical pump using a second 3 nipple filter, and run a second fuel line connecting the third nipples, bypassing the mechanical pump. The electric pump could be activated by a push button switch to prime the carb.

Last edited:
So are you wanting to push fuel into the filter on the return line? I’d say it’s a bad idea as the fuel will be flowing the wrong direction and stir up any junk in the filter.

Also flowing the wrong way may damaged the filter media and have the junk in the filter or line get to your carb.

just fill the carb through the bowl vent with a syringe or a container. Quick and easy and you can do a quick check of fluids, belts, hoses and such while under there.

Auto Transport Service
Back