• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel gauge all of the place 72 charger

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
1972 charger , just put a new tank and sending unit in ( car had a fuel cell) hooked up everything, the fuel gauge is all over the place.

where should i start ? I'm thinking poss grounding problem at the sending unit ??

1972 charger , just put a new tank and sending unit in ( car had a fuel cell) hooked up everything, the fuel gauge is all over the place.

where should i start ? I'm thinking poss grounding problem at the sending unit ??
Make sure the sending unit is grounded. Did you put a ground strap on the lines when you put the tank in?

i didnt install myself, but, he said he did, i will put it on the lift and check for myself

The new sending units don't work well with our gauges.

yea, it swings from way below empty to pegged past full, and all points in-between ! if re-grounding doesnt work, what would i need to do to add an aftermarket fuel gauge to my gauge pod under the dash ?

First thing you need to determine is where the fault cause is. The sender, The gauge, or possibly even a bad wire. I'd start by removing the wire from the sender (outside of the tank) and connecting that wire direct to chassis ground. If the gauge pegs out full then most likely it and the wire are OK. If it still bounces all around odds are the gauge is bad but before spending all the time messing with that you might want to rule that out. You could connect the gauge directly to the sending unit with new wire.

Do you happen to have a factory service manual? Makes helping you out easier. Also which instrument cluster do you have?

Auto Transport Service
Back