• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel in manifold vac port on Brawler carb

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
I’ve been having issues daily with changing idle settings. 70 degrees in the am, set it, then I have to set it again to drive home in the afternoon when it’s 80? It’s either rich or lean. The car struggles to idle and I see the extreme readings on my air fuel ratio gauge. Cruise mode on the highway is nice and steady over 2000 rpm. Changing idle mixture is noticeable at part cruise under 2000 rpm as you would think. Idle circuit.

I removed the vac cap from the manifold vac port on my 650 brawler carb today and there was gas in the cap. Is that telling me anything? I also have a steady 12” of vacuum in drive and a 6.5 power valve. Wrong size? Leaking? I checked for vac leaks around the carb and manifold and can’t find any.
Specs:
Mild comp cam with .48” lift.
Headers
‘70 Belvedere
650 carb
All parts only 6 months old

After thinking about my changing idle mixture issue I had a hunch that the rubber Edelbrock heat spacer May have been leaking and I was right. I replaced it with a .5” wood spacer and new gaskets and it settled down considerably. Now my mixture screw adjustments are way more stable and predictable with small adjustments. It was all over the place yesterday. I also replaced the 35 squirter with the original 31, and added a 55 power valve. Throttle response in park is super snappy. It was rich bogging bad before. I hope that solves it but I’ve said that before

Auto Transport Service
Back