• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Pump for '73 440 with 3/8 line from the tank

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:17 AM
Reaction score
Looking for the correct Carter or other brand mechanical fuel pump for my '73 440 Charger. The fuel line from the tank is 3/8 inch and doesn't match the 5/16 inlet I was sold on the Carter M6935 pump I bought from Rock Auto.

Looking for the correct Carter or other brand mechanical fuel pump for my '73 440 Charger. The fuel line from the tank is 3/8 inch and doesn't match the 5/16 inlet I was sold on the Carter M6935 pump I bought from Rock Auto.
You probably just need an adapter. They have used them for decades on pumps. I jusst looked up your application on Summit's site and came up with the same number.

About all you can do is replace the pump or in the short hose from the steel line to the pump use a 5/16 to 3/8 hose adapter.

41ZOpCBLA6L.jpg

They make threaded adapters. Most parts stores and hardware stores sell them. Heck. Many fuel pumps include one in the box. Same pump, multiple applications.

They make threaded adapters. Most parts stores and hardware stores sell them. Heck. Many fuel pumps include one in the box. Same pump, multiple applications.
The pump the poster bought has a fixed 5/16 male nipple/hose barb.

Auto Transport Service
Back