• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Question

Matt Curtis

Local time
1:18 AM
Reaction score
Can any one help me with a recent issue. My 68 Charger was running ok until I filled it up for the first time. I inherited the car. It has a 383 bored 30 over and it had hardened seats. It was my grandpas. I used a lead addictive as a precaution and filled it up with 87 octane and now it runs like crap. I had the carb rebuilt and installed it today and nothing changed. Could it be the 87 octane? Should I run premium?

Describe what you mean. "Like crap" can mean many things.
Generally, 87 octane is fine for newer low to moderate performance cars but is not adequate enough octane for an old carbureted engine.
Also, if the engine has hardened valve seats, no additives are necessary.

Describe what you mean. "Like crap" can mean many things.
Generally, 87 octane is fine for newer low to moderate performance cars but is not adequate enough octane for an old carbureted engine.
Also, if the engine has hardened valve seats, no additives are necessary.

The engine runs ok at idle. If I attempt to drive it, it will stall. It started about 5 miles after the recent fill up. It seem to be worse under a load.
It has 4 barrel Holley with electric choke.

How long has the car sat since last used regularly?
Could trash have been stirred up in the tank with the fill up and is now impeding
fuel flow to the carb?

Dirty fuel filter limiting flow??
I changed the in line fuel filter. I even removed it to test it out. I took the fuel line off the carb and turned the engine over. The fuel line seems ok.

How long has the car sat since last used regularly?
Could trash have been stirred up in the tank with the fill up and is now impeding
fuel flow to the carb?
The car sat for 10 years. I have replaced or rebuilt almost everything on the carb and fuel line. Could it be the 87 octane I just filled it up with?

If your 87 octane is a ethanol blend it has possibly chased all moisture and crud from the tank forward.

Gas that has water in it will sometimes allow the engine to idle but spit and sputter under a load. Water in the fuel will make the gas look cloudy, not clear.

Last edited:
I would also say crap in the fuel system from sitting, have you checked the sock on the tank pickup? Have you had the distributor cap off to check for corrosion on the points, cap, rotor?

Agree w last post... sock can plug up and cause the described.
I wish we could get gas in the fuel..:poke:.not sure what's in there anymore.:lol:

I have replaced or rebuilt almost everything on the carb and fuel line.
As mentioned above, have you done anything to the fuel TANK? The in-tank pickup could be plugged; the pre-filter (sock) could be plugged; there could be a half-cup of rust floating around in there.

Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on the line to see what running pressure is? I run a pressure gauge on my Cummins, and even with a mechanical pump driven off the engine (higher RPM = higher fuel pressure), you'd be amazed how far the pressure drops when you put your boot in the throttle. 70mph cruise, it runs 23psi. If I boot it at that speed, I can watch it drop to 15psi immediately. Same sort of drop when you boot a carbureted engine, and if you have any restrictions at all in your delivery system you can get the "out of gas" sputter.

Also, did you dial in the carburetor after it was rebuilt? Or simply slap it on the intake? Your jetting could be off; accelerator pump could be off; mix settings could be off...

After sitting 10 years I'd thoroughly clean the tank before doing anything else.

I got a gas tank I'll sell ya, brand new still in the box.

Update!! I found that the coil was leaking fluid. I changed the coil and filed the points and everything seems to be running normal.

Can anyone recommend a new power steering pump?
Sounds like a nice car Matt,
We do like pictures ( :
Depending on what pump is on your 68 you will want to get the same so the brackets will work.
Saginaw , Federal , TRW are all possible.
Post a pic of it.
Also check the hoses , you may just have a line leak.

Auto Transport Service
Back