• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel sending unit

rr70

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
Hello, My fuel gauge is not showing the accurate level of fuel in the tank,
Full tank will show about half on the gauge.

The sending unit, and tank is new, and the sending unit was checked prior to installation, giving the accurate reading in the gauge...
I also did measure the resistance over it..
and it´s well grounded.

Could this have to do with that the vehicle is raised in the back (with shackles)
could this effect float this much?

/Linus

my 70 RR does the same thing. i have shackles on it also...except mine will read 1/4 tank when i know i have 1/2. ...when i fill it up ...the gauge only reads about 7/8 full. new OER gauges in it....even the factory gauge didnt read accurate.

i have talked to a few people about this situation. they told me that bending the float down a bit ( the same way we used to adjust the float on the toilet back in the day ) ....will allow it to float higher giving a more accurate reading. i have not done this as of yet coz i plan on putting a new gas tank in it sometime.

try that at your own risk...if you do , let me know how it worked! good luck

That is a common problem on these cars. If you have the correct reading of about 10 - 73 ohms getting up to your gauge then the problem is in your gauge. You could try a different one, or try bending the float arm like "dog" said. This is kind of a crapshoot and will probably take several tries (it did for me anyway). You will have to start with an empy tank and put in exactly 1/2 tank so you know what to adjust to.

Linus, the new reproductions sending units are notorious for being off, even when new. As already suggested, bend the arm to compensate for the bad reading.

My gage read 3/4 yet the float arm was topped out against the stop. I had to bend the float arm stop to get the gage to read higher.

Thanks for the advice guys,
well sounds like a bit of a hassle, bending the float and all,
I hope you can get the float out, with the tank in place,
maybe i´ll give it a try, i let you know..
/Linus

You can get usually the float out w/o dropping the tank. You'll have to rotate & wiggle a lot once the lock ring is off. Use a brass drift if you don't have a lock ring tool to avoid risk of sparks. Make sure the tank is drained so fuel doesn't come flying out if it's above the sending unit.

I adjusted mine by connecting the sending unit, holding the arm at full stop and making adjustments until the gage read full at the full stop and then confirming it also read empty at empty stop. When re-installing everything, make sure the seal is centered and that is wasn't bad when removed or you'll end up with a leak and doing everything again.

I just did this all on Thursday on my road runner.

I know this response is out of sorts but I have discovered that the fuel gauge in my 69 RR is adjustable...that's right the gauge it's self can be made to read shorter or longer.

On the back of the gauge look closely, there are 2 small holes, inside you will see what looks like the edge of a gear. it is a pronged gear wheel that will allow you to adjust the needle on the empty or full ends.

I know everyone looks for the easy way out and the mods the sending unit cuz taking the dash apart is such a pain in the ***! but just remember it can be done on both ends the sending unit and the gauge.

Good luck may the gods of beer be with you!

Auto Transport Service
Back