• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel system for 700hp street n strip.

mala

Local time
12:24 PM
Reaction score
Fuel system for a street n strip car with circa 700hp N/A and carburetor. It must be able to cruise on highway for 1,5 hour.

What fuel pump, sizes on fuel lines, dead head reg or a bypass? How have you done?

Thanks!

Might be overkill. I run an Aeromotive A3000. Good to 3000 h.p. it has filter and by pass built in. I drive all over on the street. The one pump is enough for just motor and the addition of both kits when sprayed. No dead head, -12 feed from cell to pump, to fuel log, -8 to carbs, -6 fuel & nitrous solenoids and a-8 return of off pump regulator.

rsz_20160702_220108_002.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

We are using a walbro pump in a new fuel tank from tanks Inc. 1/2 braided pressure and return line with a regulator up front. Pump is quiet and hardly takes any amps a 7 psi. Using one for a 69 bee and a 69 charger. You can upgrade pump if you think you need more. Very dependable.

Did a 250 Mallory g-rotor pump (cheap when I got it, not so much now) . Dash ten from cell to pump, to filter. Half inch aluminum line for most of the car length, then dash eight to regulator, to carb. Dead head.
Doing it again, I would use a return regulator and return line.

Last edited:
6PKRTSE: You have a fantastic engine compartment, well thought out. But like you said, little too much for my needs. :)

Curious Y: I have to look up tanks Inc.

IMP 33: Yes, after I look it up.... Definitely a return line.

Im mostly worried about the fuel pump, I want a reliable and quiet fuel pump. It must run for 1,5 hour.

6PKRTSE: You have a fantastic engine compartment, well thought out. But like you said, little too much for my needs. :)

Curious Y: I have to look up tanks Inc.

IMP 33: Yes, after I look it up.... Definitely a return line.

Im mostly worried about the fuel pump, I want a reliable and quiet fuel pump. It must run for 1,5 hour.
Gerotor (like a big block Mopar oil pump) is quieter and more reliable than a vane type.

The walbro style pump is like what all new vehicles have. What we run isnt much different that what a hellcat would run in terms of a pump. Biggest difference being we run a regulator set at 7 psi. If we ever do decide to do fuel injection we are all set up(no plan to) We just turn the pressure up.
We used to run vane pumps. Biggest issue we had w slicks is it really didn't work without a fuel cell or a sump on the bottom of the tank. Fuel pickup would get starved in a stock tank. There is more then one mfg that make a tank with a walbro pump. Typically used for fuel injection. The pump is kept cool because it is in tank in gas. Its not the kind of system you would want to dead head, it needs a big return line.1968-70 Dodge Charger Fuel Injection Gas Tank
Been nice to have a bolt on tank...w a fuel gauge that works and a quiet fuel pump.

Last edited:
I have a Holley 150HP pump on the self, its flow 140 GPH at 7-8 psi. Is this pump big enough with a AN-8 mainline to the regulator with a return line back to fuel tank?

Yes, big enough. 140 gph is enough to support 1500 hp.

Next to cyl ports being too big, probably comes fuel pumps being too big. It will not hurt the engine, but not good for pump life.
The best external elec pumps are the Carters because the electrical section of the pump has fuel circulating through it to keep it cool & lube the brgs. The Carter #4601 will deliver 90 GPH with 1/2" inlet line & 3/8" outlet line, enough to feed over 1000 hp. You spend a LOT more on pumps that have fancy CNCed billet parts etc....but do not add one iota of reliability over the Carter.

With the carb setup, I ran the Mallory 250 gph pump, 500 Filter, and bypass regulator. I think the pump would fill a 5-gallon gas can in about a minute (closer to 300 gph output.)
Everything to/from the regulator was -8AN (1/2"), and then -6 AN from each output port on the regulator to a fuel bowl.
The pump was flowing so much, it was hard to keep the pressure down to 6-psi at idle, so I used the pumps regulator with another return line to lower the pump output pressure slightly (not much) so the pressure at the bypass regulator would not creep up at idle.
Not a quiet setup, but quieter than some others I have heard. Never had a problem until I ran E-85 which is not compatible with the filter element. Didn't seem to hurt anything else.

With the EFI, Currently has an in tank 340 lph pump, but I will likely use a larger pump if I want to run E-85 again.
Lines are the same -8AN, but with adaptors to -6AN to fit the pump and EFI. I think the higher pressures of the EFI system allows getting away with the -6AN lines?

With the carb setup, I ran the Mallory 250 gph pump, 500 Filter, and bypass regulator. I think the pump would fill a 5-gallon gas can in about a minute (closer to 300 gph output.)
Everything to/from the regulator was -8AN (1/2"), and then -6 AN from each output port on the regulator to a fuel bowl.
The pump was flowing so much, it was hard to keep the pressure down to 6-psi at idle, so I used the pumps regulator with another return line to lower the pump output pressure slightly (not much) so the pressure at the bypass regulator would not creep up at idle.
Not a quiet setup, but quieter than some others I have heard. Never had a problem until I ran E-85 which is not compatible with the filter element. Didn't seem to hurt anything else.

With the EFI, Currently has an in tank 340 lph pump, but I will likely use a larger pump if I want to run E-85 again.
Lines are the same -8AN, but with adaptors to -6AN to fit the pump and EFI. I think the higher pressures of the EFI system allows getting away with the -6AN lines?
I ran all stainless 3/8 hardlines and for the return also for my EFI. Tied it all in with -6AN lines. No need to go bigger unless you’re 800 hp or more I’m thinking. I’m running a 400 LPH pump in tank with a 10 micron 175 gph filter with a Holley billet fuel pressure regulator on the return that I haven’t hooked up yet.

Yes, big enough. 140 gph is enough to support 1500 hp.

Next to cyl ports being too big, probably comes fuel pumps being too big. It will not hurt the engine, but not good for pump life.
The best external elec pumps are the Carters because the electrical section of the pump has fuel circulating through it to keep it cool & lube the brgs. The Carter #4601 will deliver 90 GPH with 1/2" inlet line & 3/8" outlet line, enough to feed over 1000 hp. You spend a LOT more on pumps that have fancy CNCed billet parts etc....but do not add one iota of reliability over the Carter.

Maybe if the tank and fuel pump is mounted in front of the engine.
I think 1500hp is little optimistic. Fuel pump must fight against fuel filter, multiple bends/turns and G-force when accelerating.

I may give the Holley 12-150 a shot and a1000-carbureted-bypass-regulator because I already have it. I have welded a sump in the tank with a AN-8 outlet and same size as a main line to the regulator and use the original 3/8" fuel line as a retur line.
I hope this gona work.

The Charger has the Fitech 1200 PA EFI. I tested the built-in regulator with a Walbro 450 LPH pump (full power, no PWM), and it worked fine. At the time, I was only looking at supply pressure, not return pressure.
On the Coronet, I am re-doing the braided -6 lines with stainless 3/8" supply, and I will try 5/16" return and check pressure on the return side too. I think it will be fine for that car as it only had a 255 lph pump that came with the spectra CR9FI fuel tank.
The '71 Charger has been using a 20-gallon fuel cell, but I am putting together some parts to put the 450 LPH pump into a stock type tank using the holly HydroMat (that stuff is expensive.) I hope that works so I get the trunk space back and then I can put the MT E/T pros in the trunk when not racing.

I ran a simple Holley black pump in a dead head system, including nitrous, up to 1000fwhp. I agree with the overkill comment on fuel pumps.

Mala,
Post #15.
[1] The Carter pump I quoted is rated at 14-16 psi pressure, to over come G forces. It requires a regulator.
[2] I have used one as described using the stock tank & got the 90 gph I quoted.
[3] 140 gph is theoretically capable of supporting 1680 hp, when the A/F ratio is 14.7 or leaner. If you know anything about fuel flow requirements, then should know that a 600 hp engine requires 50 gph or part there of.

Auto Transport Service
Back