• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Tank Sending Unit 1970 Hemi Roadrunner

Hemibird

Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
It appears, after some time diagnosing everything else, I need a new Gas Tank Float assembly for the 1970 Roadrunner - 426 hemi

The fuel line connections for sending units come in 3 sizes ... 3/8, 1/2 & 5/16. Logic would dictate it's probably the 1/2", but has anyone replaced one and know for sure (Before I start crawling around under the car)?

Also, can it be removed without dropping the tank? I'm tired of the gauge showing 1/2 tank when full and empty with 10-12 gallons left, and I may sell the car soon, so it needs to be fixed.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I believe the Hemi came with the 1/2" fuel line. My six barrel has 3/8" on it. You can change the unit without dropping the tank.

Chuck

I believe the Hemi came with the 1/2" fuel line. My six barrel has 3/8" on it. You can change the unit without dropping the tank.

Chuck

Really .... 3/8 on a 6Pak??? I just edited my post. I meant to say 1/2". Not sure what I was thinking at 2:00AM(Ish). I've resigned myself to the idea that I have to go under and measure it ... just to be sure.

1/2" fuel lines from the factory? No. Hemi and 440 six-packs had 3/8" fuel lines originally, all other engine combos had 5/16" lines.

Might just measure your body fuel line...that will tell you what size you need.
Under the hood, before the fuel pump.

1/2" fuel lines from the factory? No. Hemi and 440 six-packs had 3/8" fuel lines originally, all other engine combos had 5/16" lines.

This is correct, Hemi and Six Pack also had a return line to the tank

Everyone I know that owns a late 60's early 70's Mopar has had problems with the fuel gauge not showing the correct level......have to bend the float arm a bit to get it to show "near" correct......the Hemi cars (do not quote me in this) use the 5/16's line I think....they use more fuel mostly the ones with dual quads.

Auto Transport Service
Back