• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tanks for my 66 Coronet

mtbase

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone actually ever completes a restoration, seems that there is always something that can be improved...or that I just don't like.

This is the same car I've asked for help with for the last 6 years.

The original fuel tank was questionable, so I opted to replace it ( probably my 1st mistake). Tanks for these are not difficult to find, but perhaps it wasn't a good one. This one seemed to fit funny... no matter how I placed it, it was difficult to get it to position well with the filler neck. The filler neck is OEM. I did manage to find a spot where the everything reached, but just barely being sufficient. On a full tank it might drip for a bit.

The sending unit was a cheap-*** China POS and read full for the first 20 mins and dropped rapidly, to read 1/4 full, when it was still 3/4 full. I replaced it, but all I found was more China crap, that had equally dissatisfying results. A Forbbodies brother, out towards Boston, offered to check the gauge cluster out for me and he was a huge help. I left for home sure that it wasn't the fuel gauge or limiter.

Three sending units later and the gauge still isn't trustworthy. This tank, that has had perhaps 10 fill-ups, is now leaking again....possibly from the sending unit port. It's not the worst job to do, but Id rather be driving it, than fixing it.

Where can I go and get a good tank and sending unit?

Has anyone had success??

Thank you

I've used Spectra tanks in my Chargers & they have been fine. Good luck with finding a decent sending unit though. All the repro ones are inaccurate. You're better off finding a NOS one or a nice original or one.

I don't know if anyone actually ever completes a restoration, seems that there is always something that can be improved...or that I just

This is the same car I've asked for help with for the last 6 years.

The original fuel tank was questionable, so I opted to replace it ( probably my 1st mistake). Tanks for these are not difficult to find, but perhaps it wasn't a good one. This one seemed to fit funny... no matter how I placed it, it was difficult to get it to position well with the filler neck. The filler neck is OEM. I did manage to find a spot where the everything reached, but just barely being sufficient. On a full tank it might drip for a bit.

The sending unit was a cheap-*** China POS and read full for the first 20 mins and dropped rapidly, to read 1/4 full, when it was still 3/4 full. I replaced it, but all I found was more China crap, that had equally dissatisfying results. A Forbbodies brother, out towards Boston, offered to check the gauge cluster out for me and he was a huge help. I left for home sure that it wasn't the fuel gauge or limiter.

Three sending units later and the gauge still isn't trustworthy. This tank, that has had perhaps 10 fill-ups, is now leaking again....possibly from the sending unit port. It's not the worst job to do, but Id rather be driving it, than fixing it.

Where can I go and get a good tank and sending unit?

Has anyone had success??

Thank you
Got mine from jegs, had to reuse the original lock ring to get a good seal.
Sender came from them also, reads 3/4 when full, I consider that a success.

Last edited:
Never did this, find a working factory sending might not? matter if it's for your car. Remove the reostat and float arm, cut the strip (leave it long trim later) that connects the stud that goes to outside tank. Now remove crappy after market and replace with factory parts. Whether this works ???? Just an idea.

Got mine from jegs, had to reuse the original lock ring to get a good seal.
Sender came from them also, reads 3/4 when full, I consider that a success.
I have been working with a unfixable 66-67 fuel tank and some original sending units along with a reproduction that has the same problem as most. The reproduction sending units are not bent correctly and the float goes to the top of the tank before reaching full. I have cut the tank and playing with this in my spare time. The new lock rings that come with the tanks have been a problem for some time.
20210313_170711.jpg

I have been working with a unfixable 66-67 fuel tank and some original sending units along with a reproduction that has the same problem as most. The reproduction sending units are not bent correctly and the float goes to the top of the tank before reaching full. I have cut the tank and playing with this in my spare time. The new lock rings that come with the tanks have been a problem for some time. View attachment 1102351
whenever I come across an old tank I cop the steel ring. the originals never wear out, at least in my experience. The 66-67 Belvedere tank is also touchy to Install the filler tube, too many angles!

I bought a new repro sending unit for my '67 R/T and am having same results as others have stated with inaccurate readings. I have resorted to writing my mileage in a notebook when I fill up. 15 gallon tank X 15 m.p.g. = 225 miles when I look for a gas station.

back then the gauges were way off, everybody watched the odometer, as trips weren't around yet. people actually knew how to do math in their head, versus kids today. what? no tablet/phone/calculator?Lol

Ive seen new tanks that won't fill properly. It appears the internal vent tubes aren't all created equal. Sorry I don't know what the brands were

I bought a new repro sending unit for my '67 R/T and am having same results as others have stated with inaccurate readings. I have resorted to writing my mileage in a notebook when I fill up. 15 gallon tank X 15 m.p.g. = 225 miles when I look for a gas station.

I do exactly the same when my fuel injection is working and at 10 mpg.

back then the gauges were way off, everybody watched the odometer, as trips weren't around yet. people actually knew how to do math in their head, versus kids today. what? no tablet/phone/calculator?Lol

I wonder how many young people actually know how to calculate their miles per gallon or figure out the range they can go without pressing a button on their dash?

I got mine (for a 68 RR) from Mancini Racing in like 2007
both the new fuel tank & larger diameter 1/2" feed sending unit
(not sure where they get them from)
Fuel tank fit perfect, I used new stainless straps & hardware too
the sending unit is a lil' off
seems the fuller it is, the faster it moves towards empty
the last 1/2 of a tank seems, to go down a tad slower

I keep track of mileage anyway, I always have
sending unit & fuel gauge it's just a guideline, when to get gas
never really was accurate,
always read/s just past the line on the gauge empty
& it still has like 2 gallons, I try to never run it empty

I think the voltage limiter (reduce to 7vt from 12vt) on the gauge panel
has something to do with that too (for more than just the fuel gauge too)
'supposedly' the digital versions of the voltage limiters work better
I don't know 1st hand, haven't tried one of them 'YET'

I had a problem grounding the sending unit well,
to get the gauge to work correctly
the org. has/had a lil' metal strap
that went from the fuel outlet nipple off the sending unit
to the steel fuel line over a lil' section of rubber fuel line,
my car has AN lines & fittings
to a Aeromotive canister style filter, in the shock well
to an electric 175gph Aeromotive SS fuel pump
down by the pass. side frame
Anyway;
so I had to run a ground wire from the sending unit,
to a ground on the body, in the shock well area
I sanded down to the bare metal, drilled a small hole
& used a machine screw with a dab of dielectric grease...

Of late, the past year or so,
I didn't put more than like 7-8 gallons in
I've been having a problem with
the sending unit rubber gasket/seal leaking
the lock ring on the aftermarket tank is
just a lil' thinner (like 0.060" thinner) stamped piece of zink coated steel
but the rubber seal was the same thickness as the org. was
an original lock ring worked better, seemed stouter too
had a more positive feel when I locked it in
(you can bend the lock tab on the tank, a bit too to make it tighter, I'd think)
I also bought the installation tool for the lock ring, from Mancini Racing
for the second attempt
I org. 1st time used just a drift/punch & a hammer to lock it in,
that may have been part of the problem too,
it may have knocked the seal/rubber gasket off-center
every so slightly...
IT was really hard to tell, in the car...

I also went with a lil' thicker rubber seal, I made myself
from some 0.125" (1/8") poly rubber sheet I had on hand...

there's almost nothing worse than a fuel leak
for storing the car (fire hazard) or from driving down the road
leaking fuel at the prices today

not sure any of that will help

good luck

Last edited:
I wonder how many young people actually know how to calculate their miles per gallon or figure out the range they can go without pressing a button on their dash?
Probably not many they can't figure out change at a register....

I have been working with a unfixable 66-67 fuel tank and some original sending units along with a reproduction that has the same problem as most. The reproduction sending units are not bent correctly and the float goes to the top of the tank before reaching full. I have cut the tank and playing with this in my spare time. The new lock rings that come with the tanks have been a problem for some time. View attachment 1102351
Thanks Jerry, I will have to let the axle sag and pull that and try a little bend in it.

My guess 2 out of 100. I have a niece that can't tell time unless its a digital clock. Figuring gas mileage, you would get a better answer asking her how far is it to the moon.

I'll look for my original locking ring...might still have it

Thanks all

When i was 14 years old I would ride my bike to Dad's mobil station at 7:00 AM to open the station, start the compressor, turn on all the pumps, and recount the cash register, and fill up the cigarette machine. at that time it was a quarter a pack,pop machine coke was a dime. Saturday was always the busiest day. I frequently worked the station until Noon when my brother the mechanic showed up. I pumped gas, greased cars, changed the Oil, and washed windows all day until 6:00. Then it was time to go to the nearest dance at one of the High schools. at 14 I thought I had hit the big time, being a high school freshman!(1966)

Auto Transport Service
Back