• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel vapor separator

65-440

Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score
Need a fuel vapor separator for a 440/6 superbird. Any quality new ones available? I only ask this because I've read some of the new ones have been found to have no screen inside!

I just bought one from Vann's Auto for $50.00. Have no idea if there is or isn't a screen inside?
Looks nice out of the box!

I just bought one from Vann's Auto for $50.00. Have no idea if there is or isn't a screen inside?
Looks nice out of the box!
Bring it by, I'll use my x-ray vision to check it for ya...

I remember doing this a few years back and researching it....if I remember correctly there had been some issues with the sizes of the inlets/outlets. But I do not remember the details. I think the details were on this forum.

I ended up getting mine from Frank Badalson...zero issues.

The orfice is supposed to be 0.0625. One sixteenth of an inch.

521 Restorations shows out of stock. Anyone else? (sorry to hijack)

I got a Goodmark one off Ebay a few weeks ago and it has the correct size return port(I anticipated brazing it up and re-drilling, so it was a pleasant surprise). Don't know if it has the screen inside or the tubes at the correct depths...
Part # GMK213126966, was about $35
It looks nice but IDK. I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks to all of you but the owner of the bird decided to hold off and keep the one that's on the car for now. I went through the 6 pack and besides the solidified fuel in the center bowl from sitting still too long I didn't find any debris in either of the 3 carbs.

I got a Goodmark one off Ebay a few weeks ago and it has the correct size return port(I anticipated brazing it up and re-drilling, so it was a pleasant surprise). Don't know if it has the screen inside or the tubes at the correct depths...
Part # GMK213126966, was about $35
It looks nice but IDK. I don't have anything to compare it to.
Thanks Grabber... I saw those online too and thought about it a little bit. I think you could stick a zip tie/welding rod/coat hanger down the outlet hole and see if you can "feel" the end of the outlet tube. Here's what I've read about "some" repro fuel separators:
1. Outlet tube is too shot & doesnt extend to nearly the "bottom" of seperator (see diagram below). The vapor seperator wouldn't really work too well like this.
2. No screen - not a problem if you have an inline fuel filter and/or use the brass carburetor inlet filters
3. Hole too Big on Vapor Return Line - you can solder it up & drill it. The best I've seen is to make a .060"-.0625" lengthwise hole in a piece of 1/4 metal rod and splice that into the vapor return hose (or something similar to make a "hose restrictor" rather than fooling with the fuel vapor seperator itself...just easier)

So Grabber, can you determine if you're Goodmark outlet tube goes nearly all the way to the other side of the fuel seperator like in the diagram on the left? THANKS!

vap-sep-good_and_crap_001.jpg

Thanks Grabber... I saw those online too and thought about it a little bit. I think you could stick a zip tie/welding rod/coat hanger down the outlet hole and see if you can "feel" the end of the outlet tube. Here's what I've read about "some" repro fuel separators:
1. Outlet tube is too shot & doesnt extend to nearly the "bottom" of seperator (see diagram below). The vapor seperator wouldn't really work too well like this.
2. No screen - not a problem if you have an inline fuel filter and/or use the brass carburetor inlet filters
3. Hole too Big on Vapor Return Line - you can solder it up & drill it. The best I've seen is to make a .060"-.0625" lengthwise hole in a piece of 1/4 metal rod and splice that into the vapor return hose (or something similar to make a "hose restrictor" rather than fooling with the fuel vapor seperator itself...just easier)

So Grabber, can you determine if you're Goodmark outlet tube goes nearly all the way to the other side of the fuel seperator like in the diagram on the left? THANKS!

View attachment 1228953
You peaked my curiosity so did some investigating...
Here's the results.
Straightened a yellow coated paperclip and put a small hook on the end to catch the bottom of the tube.
20220123_162645.jpg

Next, inserted the clip in the outlet tube and hooked it to the bottom of the tube and marked it with a sharpie.
20220123_162721.jpg

Measurement looks like its pretty close to the bottom. The pic is a hair deceptive.
20220123_162851.jpg

For kicks I did the inlet tube as well
20220123_162922.jpg

Everything looks good and I have a filter so not super concerned about the screen, but I do bet it has one...
20220123_162954.jpg

Hey Grabergreendream, Thanks for doing that! That is the same one I got from Van's for $50.00.
Everyone had me worried until I saw your post!

Saw the goodmark version on rockauto.com for $21

I've got the same packaging on my Goodmark one that Grabberdream has. I measured the return orifice at .057"

Probably only one manufacturer and many different prices! Ha! Boy, are we suckers!

You peaked my curiosity so did some investigating...
Here's the results.
Straightened a yellow coated paperclip and put a small hook on the end to catch the bottom of the tube.
View attachment 1229206
Next, inserted the clip in the outlet tube and hooked it to the bottom of the tube and marked it with a sharpie.
View attachment 1229210
Measurement looks like its pretty close to the bottom. The pic is a hair deceptive.
View attachment 1229211
For kicks I did the inlet tube as well
View attachment 1229217
Everything looks good and I have a filter so not super concerned about the screen, but I do bet it has one...
View attachment 1229218
I just did this to the one I bought from 521 restorations, and came up with the same results.

I'm just glad to see some of the companies that repop these are getting the darn things correct.
Honestly I'd have been pissed if the tubes weren't correct because it definitely would not have worked at all. I have never seen or ever saw the issue discussed about the tube lengths until I saw the diagram posted by purplebeeper. I'm not saying it hasnt, I've just only ever heard of the return port issue.
Hope this post points somebody twords some simple checks on their new, reproduction vapor separator to prevent mounting/using a product that wont work the way it was designed. I can only imagine how PO'ed someone would be chasing all kinds of issues if the separator was made with the wrong depth tubes...all over a $25 part...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back