• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fueling

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
Have a 1967 plymouth GTX.. I have a hard time fueling vehicle..You have to get the right angle & slowly pump the fuel...Is there a fuel vent ?

Have a 1967 plymouth GTX.. I have a hard time fueling vehicle..You have to get the right angle & slowly pump the fuel...Is there a fuel vent ?

Does your car fuel from the back behind the license plate? You may want to find a station that's not equipped with those stupid spring loaded snork-like things that are supposed to catch the vapors.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem. I have a 66 Belvedere and I have to have the nozzle just right or gas splashes out. On my 71 Ranchero it has to be sideways. I think it's a conspiracy to get our cars off the road!!

Over the last decade or so I've had several classic year Mopars (and other brands as well) that were hard to fill. As mentioned, the problem is with the newer smog nozzles at the pumps. With most of mine, the nozzle would shut off about every three seconds unless I held it pointed south-south west and bought my gas only on a Tuesday at 10:53AM!! Or, at least it seemed that way.

I have heard about modern inserts for fuel fill necks, but have never seen them. Something we just have to live with I guess.

69 Coronet R/T. Fuel behind lic plate. In the 23 years I have owned the car, it has never been fueled without spilling some as stated above.

The problem as I see it is the filler neck makes an abrupt turn as it heads to the tank on my 66 Belvedere (or a 67 GTX), and not to exclude my 71 Ranchero and the 68 Mustang I had. Those cars all had similar fueling problems except my 68 RR with the under license plate filler. That's just a short piece of tube that's a straight shot into the tank. I think the answer is to reshape the filler neck or make some kind of internal baffle to direct the gas around the corner rather than all over the side of your car.

I think you can buy a new filler neck with one of those screw on caps, which might help, but the trick - at least for me - would be to install it so it's not an obvious conversion.

I'd like to wake up this old post if possible. I have a 67 GTX with the flip-open gas filler on the quarter panel and am having the same problems mentioned above. At first I too thought it was the rubber breather around the nozzle getting in the way so I found a station without those but still had a hell of a time. If I put the nozzle all the way in it shuts off instantly. I have to hold the nozzle out near the cap then the pressure of the fuel spits gas out on my hand. I always wind up with gas leaking down the panel under the cap. I remember having the leak on my first 67 back in 70s but not the problems getting the gas in. Has anyone figured out a solution to this?

The fuel tank vent line connects to the fill tube. If you can get the fuel nozzle below the vent line it should solve the problem. Fought the same problem all the while I owned a 66 Belv. 71 to 82 so today's fuel nozzles are not the problem. Try adding fuel from a fuel can with a flexible spout. Stick it in all the way a tilt the can. The problem should disappear, add that lenght to the station nozzle and see what happens.

Auto Transport Service
Back