• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuell cell instalation advice

Chryco69

Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
I just bought a 16 gallon aluminum fuel cell. Any advice as to install it per NHRA rules? I just want to make sure its properly done. Its for a street strip set up.

Depends what tech guy checks your car, here in ID thats the rule.

You are going to need a rear fire wall if you do not already have one. If needed I can look up the exact specs.

Yes you will need a firewall! The bulkhead must be at least.024 inch steel or.032 inch alum. The filler neck if located inside must be vented to the outside, Fuel lines must be outside of the driver comp. Also if the sump is outside of the floor you will need to have a shield over it.

please dont cut the trunk and drop ot down. raise it up on 1" aluminum square stock and mount your pump inside the car.

Attachments

• 11 454.jpg
    11 454.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 11 453.jpg
    11 453.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 213
You are going to need a rear fire wall if you do not already have one. If needed I can look up the exact specs.

That would be great thank you

- - - Updated - - -

please dont cut the trunk and drop ot down. raise it up on 1" aluminum square stock and mount your pump inside the car.

I was told thats wrong. Told not to place
the fuel pump inside of the vehicle. Fuel components to be ran outside of the vehicle

The fuel pump can be mounted in the trunk per NHRA regs.

Also per rules the top of the tank cant be above the rear wheels.

Hey, that set up doesn't leave much room for all the crap the wife wants to throw in the trunk!!! lol.

the fuel pump inside of the vehicle. Fuel components to be ran outside of the vehicle[/QUOTE]

putting your pump outside of the car is probably the worst tghing to do. its exposed to all the elements and prone to rust and corrosion. doing burnouts kicking rocks and rubber on to it is a no no.
i called john @ product engineering and magnafuel and 1st thing they said after one of my pumps burned out was that the bearings got water inside and rusted.
both told me to run my pump inside the trunk.14 years later never had a pump go bad again.plus your not vutting yourv trunk to drop in your fuel cell.
Skinnykid race cars did this one for my black dodge. check out the craftmanship on this 25.5 chassis setup. perfection.

Attachments

• NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 024.jpg
    NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 024.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 193
  • NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 025.jpg
    NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 025.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 202
  • NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 026.jpg
    NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 026.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 195
  • NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 027.jpg
    NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 027.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 200
  • NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 028.jpg
    NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 028.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 196
the fuel pump inside of the vehicle. Fuel components to be ran outside of the vehicle

putting your pump outside of the car is probably the worst tghing to do. its exposed to all the elements and prone to rust and corrosion. doing burnouts kicking rocks and rubber on to it is a no no.
i called john @ product engineering and magnafuel and 1st thing they said after one of my pumps burned out was that the bearings got water inside and rusted.
both told me to run my pump inside the trunk.14 years later never had a pump go bad again.plus your not vutting yourv trunk to drop in your fuel cell.
Skinnykid race cars did this one for my black dodge. check out the craftmanship on this 25.5 chassis setup. perfection.

that is perty

- - - Updated - - -

clean install

when i bought my 63 plymouth max wedge car, i couldnt believe the guy cut a hole in the trunk to drop in the cell.
i raised up the cell and patched up the hole to give it a stock appearance again.had my magnafuel fuel pump rebuilt by magnafuel after it froze up. never again would i have a pump mounted on the outside frame rail.

when i bought my 63 plymouth max wedge car, i couldnt believe the guy cut a hole in the trunk to drop in the cell.
i raised up the cell and patched up the hole to give it a stock appearance again.had my magnafuel fuel pump rebuilt by magnafuel after it froze up. never again would i have a pump mounted on the outside frame rail.

SSR I agree, unless you have a stock style fuel tank & an electric pump, that can't self prime very well, then your kind of stuck to an outside pump installation...

SSR I agree, unless you have a stock style fuel tank & an electric pump, that can't self prime very well, then your kind of stuck to an outside pump installation...

or a BG PUMP ,they cant prime themselves out of a paperbag. worst pump i ever had.

I mounted mine over the spare tire well with the pump and filtrers mounted below the sump so there is no problem with priming.

Attachments

• DSC02889.jpg
    DSC02889.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 119
Auto Transport Service
Back