• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Future of Late (75-79) B-bodies ?

So funny you call these cars "disco cars".:lol: It is exactly what I feel when driving my `75 Coronet from the middle of the disco era. And I like it!:thumbsup:

Regarding the value and its increase or decrease I agree with moparnutcase, it should be about the hobby and its fun, not about the money. All my cars have eaten a lot of money in the past and will do in the future as well probably, but I have never ever wasted a thought if I would ever get it back. If so I knew I won`t.

My thoughts might be a little different to yours because of my European heritage. To me these cars were an example for America when I was young, saw them around the US casernes here or just on the streets when so many were around. Went to the gates there many times with some friends just to watch and listen when they left or returned. Kind of stupid, I know...

Found my car decades later in the US and to be honest it wasn`t love on first sight. But later, when I picked it up in the harbour and brought it home the love has grown. After it was ready and street legal for Germany and I took my first ride with it I knew it was it! So I have kept it ever since and will never try to make money with. I own this car because I like it (that`s the way!:lol:) and if the value increases some day, okay, lucky me. If not, who cares?

You were referring to "muscle car", so neither were the late 70 GM birds. Hence, my point of how they have any value today. And, I'm making light of the disco references, you don't have to be a wise ***.

Permit me a few random thoughts before I tie them together and reply to your post.

Random 1: if you pick up a dog turd from your lawn, put it in a cereal bowl, cover it with ice cream and put cherries on top – is it still a turd?

Random 2: I was looking for that word that describes a person that, after the party is over and most people have gone home, insists on staying and having one more drink for the road. We could not come up with that word until one person responded “It was me”. His name is Steve which I now define as a person that does not know when to leave when the part is over.

Random 3: Is dumbass the best word to describe someone that is clearly wrong and suggests that someone is being a wiseass.

From the link I’ve http://www.wow.com/wiki/Personal_luxury_car I’ve extracted the following:

New models in the 1970”s

The decline of the muscle car, due to rising insurance costs and emissions standards in the early 1970s, coincided with a strong upswing in the personal luxury segment, as American buyers shifted emphasis from performance to comfort. Offsetting this, the 1973 and1979 oil crisis impacted demand for cars with relatively poor fuel economy.

Chevrolet introduced the 1970 Monte Carlo using an intermediate-sized chassis, which was "scaled down in opulence from the similarly-bodied Pontiac Grand Prix offering buyers elegance and prestige". "Ford might have created the personal luxury car with the Thunderbird and Continental Mark II, but it took Chevrolet and Pontiac to take personal luxury to the masses."

By 1972, theFord Thunderbird (sixth generation) was heavier and more expensive than competitors that included the Riviera, Toronado, Grand Prix, Cougar, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, AMC’s Oleg Cassini Matador, and even Ford's own Torino Elite .

In 1975, Chrysler introduced the Cordoba, the company's first coupe produced specifically for the personal luxury market, although they had earlier declared that there would "never" be a smaller Chrysler. These models enjoyed impressive sales figures in the mid-1970s with their intimate, luxury-oriented feel, plush interiors, and mostly vintage styling cues like Rolls Royce-style radiator grilles, opera windows, and vinyl roofs. The new Cordoba finished second to the Chevrolet Monte Carlo in sales for that segment.

These Personal Luxury cars of the seventies became known as “disco cars”. Even though I own one, I refer you to Random 1 and say that they are turds in terms of value increase.

Not included as a personal luxury car are the TA’s of the seventies. They are something else and for the purpose of this discussion let’s call them Steve’s. They are hangers on from the muscle car era that didn’t know that the party was over and got popularized by the Smokey and the Bandit Movies. Really – do you identify Burt Reynolds, Sally Fields, Jackie Gleason and Jerry Reeves as part of the disco scene?

If you persist in believing TA’s were disco cars see Random 3.

Last edited:
Yes, and many people owned these cars back in the disco days, so would there be interest in these as a way for an enthusiast to be involved in the collector/classic car market in a way much less expensive than the musclecars ?
They are great cars to own and drive, Don't expect to make any money with them.

Good commentary. So, would someone, knowing the high cost of buying a musclecar project & then restoring it, now consider these cars ? Would the question of parts (resto metal) be a drawback ? Instead of scrapping/parting out a reasonably solid car, would there be interest in a mild resto, and, without the constraints of smog equipment ? Not too long ago, I saw a magnificent redo of a big-block in a Cordoba, for pennies on a dollar to what it would've cost the guy to do a musclecar, as he told me.
I think the guy that told you it was pennies on the dollar was telling you an untruth. I've done both and it is about equal in final cost and the late model b-body takes a lot more time. The only thing cheaper with the late model is the cost of the car; everything else costs more and takes more time e.g. rechroming vrs repop, changing out the rear-end etc. In my case I'm retired with lots of time to go and fairly well off. Having done both I summarize it as the "The Doba is funner than the Runner".

If I were to start a project with limited funds I would recommend a clone of a muscle car.

Truth is, all older cars will go up in value. Whether they are muscle cars or not. As I said above, they will never reach the value of genuine, late 1960s muscle cars. They will go up in value. They can make good baseline platforms for performance build ups. That's all it takes. Increasingly this is becoming un-affordable with early 1970s Bs, and is out of the budget of most people with late 1960s Bs.

I would put forward that most of the people who own and work on late 70s B cars do so because they like them. I don't think anybody who owns this car is in it for the money. However, they are distinctive, especailly the Magnum and the 300.

A lot of what you are saying about the late Bs is what people were saying about the A bodies 10 years ago. Look what happened there.

The decals, screaming chicken hood decals, flared fenders, and spoilers are the automotive equivalent of the hairy chested guy with glittery platform shoes, permed hair, slik shirt opened to his belly button with a heavy gold chain. So yeah, the late 1970s Trans Am is the purest form of disco car out there, as is the late 1970s Z28.

Last edited:
Nice article in the latest Mopar Muscle Magazine about a 78 Magnum.

Last edited:
Random 3: Is dumbass the best word to describe someone that is clearly wrong and suggests that someone is being a wiseass.

[/QUOTE] I didn't know there was a "right" or "wrong" in this discussion. And, again, you reply with a wiseass comment. So, it speaks for itself. Rather than have a discussion of opinions, you'll reply with a snide comment & categorize someone who doesn't agree with you as a dumbass.

Nice article in the latest Mopar Muscle Magazine about a 78 Magnum.
Interesting. Has the view of these cars changed ? What once was unthinkable, now considered ? I've seen a few Monte's, Doba's, Grand Prix, , Cutlass Supremes, and yes... EVEN A GRAN TORINO ELITE !! around the classic car shows & cruise events, and they get quite the attention. Who'd have thunk ? Actually, I sense more of a disdain for the late Mopars from Mopar people themselves, rather than the rest the car hobby crowd.

So funny you call these cars "disco cars".:lol: It is exactly what I feel when driving my `75 Coronet from the middle of the disco era. And I like it!:thumbsup:

Regarding the value and its increase or decrease I agree with moparnutcase, it should be about the hobby and its fun, not about the money. All my cars have eaten a lot of money in the past and will do in the future as well probably, but I have never ever wasted a thought if I would ever get it back. If so I knew I won`t.

My thoughts might be a little different to yours because of my European heritage. To me these cars were an example for America when I was young, saw them around the US casernes here or just on the streets when so many were around. Went to the gates there many times with some friends just to watch and listen when they left or returned. Kind of stupid, I know...

Found my car decades later in the US and to be honest it wasn`t love on first sight. But later, when I picked it up in the harbour and brought it home the love has grown. After it was ready and street legal for Germany and I took my first ride with it I knew it was it! So I have kept it ever since and will never try to make money with. I own this car because I like it (that`s the way!:lol:) and if the value increases some day, okay, lucky me. If not, who cares?
Thank you, this is an example of people who relate to these cars from back then and are taking a renewed interest in them. Is that your red car in the avatar ? Looks great, any more pics ?

Ok I admit that I was a frequent patron at the "Disco" back in the mid 70's.Had the Don Johnson clothes,John Travolta moves and was driving a 75 Charger SE..........

Ok I admit that I was a frequent patron at the "Disco" back in the mid 70's.Had the Don Johnson clothes,John Travolta moves and was driving a 75 Charger SE..........
Me too. I had a triple maroon Doba. I thought I was cool and king of the walk and took myself seriously. Now when I see Herb Tarlek in a rerun of WKRP in Cincinnati, I'm not sure whether to laugh or puke.
index.jpg

Interesting. Has the view of these cars changed ? What once was unthinkable, now considered ? I've seen a few Monte's, Doba's, Grand Prix, , Cutlass Supremes, and yes... EVEN A GRAN TORINO ELITE !! around the classic car shows & cruise events, and they get quite the attention. Who'd have thunk ? Actually, I sense more of a disdain for the late Mopars from Mopar people themselves, rather than the rest the car hobby crowd.
I've noticed the same thing. With my Doba being debadged and sporting a 400 engine (frequently misidentified as a GM small block 400 by the GM guys), the GM guys think my Doba is one of theirs and invite me to join and be part of their group.

I've got to know these guys quite well. They get the same distain from their counterpart muscle car owners and don't park near the muscle car guys. Instead they park with the Caddies, Olds Starfires, Electra 225's, Wildcats etc. Where they are different is that don't even try, pretend or think about being a muscle car. They accept that their cars are what they are (Personal Luxury Cars) and very seldom use them as a platform to become a muscle car. Conversation is about the joy or owning and driving them and the history of their particular car.

At these same shows you will see Chrysler slabbies and fusies and occasionally an Imperial. These guys don't want to talk about anything other than how poor the gas mileage is from the 440 under the hood and are off the chart boring. Run across an owner of an eighties vintage Fifth Avenue and strike up a conversation and its like you've been life long friends.

I didn't know there was a "right" or "wrong" in this discussion. And, again, you reply with a wiseass comment. So, it speaks for itself. Rather than have a discussion of opinions, you'll reply with a snide comment & categorize someone who doesn't agree with you as a dumbass.

There you go again - mixing dildos and bananas. I merely asked a question, albeit; I omitted to punctuate it properly - me bad. You came up with the conclusion.

Lighten up!

I'd like to see some resto metal produced.
If we as a late B group would contact these outfits who reproduce 71-74 (if any do) and ask. I have qtr's to do my cars, but would gladly let a set be used for reproduction. I seem to recall ABS was considering 71-74 and 75-79 qtr's, but when the economy tanked, it was dropped. Remember, squeeky wheels get greased.

There you go again - mixing dildos and bananas. I merely asked a question, albeit; I omitted to punctuate it properly - me bad. You came up with the conclusion.

Lighten up!
If I mis-interpreted your written replies, then I sincerely apologize.

We used to go to the popular clubs, my 75 cordoba, my bud's "Discomobile" bandit Trans Am :D, but I lacked anything close to Travolta moves ! We were at one of the joints that Son of Sam had later been.

If we as a late B group would contact these outfits who reproduce 71-74 (if any do) and ask.
The demand is probably lacking, until & if, one arises. Which is one aspect of my post... will there be a demand for these cars in a way that would warrant some manufacturing of parts ?

I think as the baby boomer generation grows older you will see a decrease in the value of 60's muscle cars. I'm in my 30's and I don't see to many guys younger than me playing with the old cars unless they grew up with a family member that had them. As far as the late 70's b body's go? All I see is donor 400 blocks to build strokers out of for the 60's cars. My dad has a beautiful 79 black on black t top 360 magnum. Is it a great cruiser.? Sure. Collectible, Not by any stretch..

I actually seen a really nice 77 400 doba for sale on Craigslist last week. My first Thought was to use it as a go to work car till it rusts out then keep the motor/trans for future projects..

And obviously this is just my opinion,

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back