• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Future vintage air install

Sheriffandy013

Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
Planning on installing this in the future on my 70 charger. My question is since I have the dash out now, what could I / should I remove to get ready for this. I figured removing heater/ac core now well be easier with dash out. I’m also torn, my car is an original ac car with small block. It now has big block and ac not connected. Would I be Same price trying to get this old stuff to work over just buying the vintage air set up?

Thanks!

I would keep/refurbish the inside parts and update the under hood components. The factory system works pretty good.

I would go with the complete system all new and be done with it. The old system will need a lot to refurbish plus all the rest of the components. Most are obsolete and expensive if found. I would bite the bullet now and do it while the dash is out.

Yes, and if I go with the new system, what can I remove while it’s out?

At this point, it would likely cost 2gs to get the old one going again.

I disagree, new or good used interior pieces are relatively easy to find. You'll have to replace the heater core and evaporator anyway so you're not saving much. Plus it looks so much better.

Ok, got her out! It’s for sale too! In the Mean time, I know vintage air has a nice block off plate with the kit but I won’t have funds for another year or so. I’m trying to get the thing together and running in the next couple months though. Does anyone else make a block off plate to cover all the holes from the heater/ac box?

Ok, got her out! It’s for sale too! In the Mean time, I know vintage air has a nice block off plate with the kit but I won’t have funds for another year or so. I’m trying to get the thing together and running in the next couple months though. Does anyone else make a block off plate to cover all the holes from the heater/ac box?
You could call Vintage air and maybe they would sell you one.

All the plate is is a piece of flat sheet metal. You can make it easily. I just installed a VA unit in my 66 Charger. Reading the instructions FULLY would have saved me a lot of time. Live and learn.

Auto Transport Service
Back