• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage gas smell

EFI should be closed off for the most part. I’m sure you didn’t build an evaporative emissions system. Isn't the vented cap so the tank doesn’t collapse, let’s air in not out?

Screenshot_20221224-122642_Chrome.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B009NHVTDI

I had this gasoline garage smell one time. It turned out to be a small pin hole in my rubber furl line from the frame rail to the fuel pump. It was so small that you could never see it while running. I happened to notice a wet spot one day while doing an oil change. Changed the hose. No more smell for years now.

Well, now that we got the rest of the story, (and by the way this is too common that someone asks a question and leaves out all the important information) After you open the garage door to air out the fuel smello, if you close the door without starting the car does the smell come back ?
If it does this would definitely indicate a fuel system leak.
FIX IT NOW.
Attached garage fires are too common and your house/family go up with the car.
You should always have at least one preferably a few fire extinguisher strategically placed around you garage and make sure that they have the correct ratings.
5 pounders at least. Better to be too big than too small when you use it.
Fumes are explosive. Is your water heater in the garage ? If so I would park the car outside until you fix it.
Safety first.
Merry Christmas.

Your smell is likely fuel evaporating from your warm carb after a drive. Today's fuel is much more volatile than the fuel that our old cars' system was designed for. Another related problem is poor starting after the car sits for a while because the fuel has left the carb bowl. The fuel pump now has to pull gas all the up from the tank to replenish the carb. My own 1967 R/T has always suffered from these conditions; stinky garage and prolonged starting.
This past summer, I had the top end of my 440 apart for a repair. When I was reassembling it, I took the opportunity to block off the heat riser ports from the heads to the intake manifold. Although doing this eliminates much of the heat to carb, I only drive my car in warm weather and the carb has an electric choke on it, so it is not dependant on manifold heat to operate correctly. Since doing this modification, my car no longer stinks up the garage with fuel evaporating from a hot carb. I also find my engine starts much better, even after sitting one or two weeks, because there is still fuel in the carb.
How do I block off the heat riser ports?

What engine? For b engines, you can get valley pans that have the passage blocked. For a engines, some intake sets come with stainless block offs that fit in the gasket passage.

Auto Transport Service
Back