• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage/Shop Air Compressor Reccommendations

1750 RPM motor is kinda hard to find.

But, yes much more quiet.

Well after some Family issues, and putting the main effort on getting my house painted before Summer heats up, I'm back to the compressor search. I just received the new Eastwood Catalog, and was looking at the new Scroll compressor, Eastwood Elite QST-30/60, Pricey $$, but says Made in U.S.A., will do what a 60 gal can, 3yr warranty, quieter, more easily moveable, as we may be forced to flee NY State in the future, and a possible candidate for a future stimulus check ? Does anyone have any personal info, or experience with these, and/or Eastwood products ? Again, Thanks for Your input on this...

Do your research. Eastwood does not make it, someone who makes compressors does. Who that might be
is important. Campbell Hausfeld make the Grainger SpeedAir brand so you have to do some detective work.
Looks like the Eastwood is quiet enough, but it only puts out twelve CFM and costs around
twelve hundred bucks! Not enough to run a die grinder or alot of air tools.

Some of Eastwood's markup is tremendous. I would want to know more about the long-term durability of a scroll air compressor, max pressure, etc. If they run hot in other applications, (refrigeration) the teflon seals "go away."

Some of Eastwood's markup is tremendous. I would want to know more about the long-term durability of a scroll air compressor, max pressure, etc. If they run hot in other applications, (refrigeration) the teflon seals "go away."
Yes, I was wondering on the amount it needs to run, to keep up, with only a 30 gal tank ? I see the draw is 17 amps, at 240v, so that seems to be a fairly high draw. Not sure what the power consumption will be ? I did like the fact of the low noise, and easy mobility though. I was hoping to get an actual feedback from someone having one, so maybe will chime in...

Again, if a compressor has enough CFM, the tank size doesn't matter, and could theoretically be zero.

The one referenced is 12 CFM, so in a blasting application it is borderline.

Last edited:
Screw drive is the only way to go for low noise. Also the pressure is constant and without all of the spikes and lows. Unfortunately they are at least 6k. If you could find one used from a shop that was closing and liquidating it's assets you could probably get it for a decent price.

The only problem with an auction piece is you have no warranty and that
would be very pricy with a screw! Stick with a REAL 5HP compressor.

If you can pick up a screw drive for one fifth the cost I would pass on a 5hp homeowner compressor. Check out the hour meter. The last one I bought at auction was still under warranty. If the business hasn't been open long it probably has not been used much and brushles screw drives last forever with little maintenance unless they are made in China. Ingersoll Rand, Quincy or other reputable brands are what you would be looking for. I have also bought new damaged with case dents at a hefty discount. I'm in California and out here businesses come and go. With what rent is these days, when businesses close they want to liquidate and vacate rapidly. I have a friend who makes his living buying/selling and moving shop equipment and he makes big bucks. Sometimes they even give the stuff away just to get it out.

Buy American when it comes to compressors. Bigger is always better. This is mine I got about 11 years ago. Filters and oil changes and it runs everything with ease that I have thrown at it. Even an inline file. I should have spent a few hundred dollars more for the big 7.5HP they had at the same time but I cheaped out. Those with 3600 RPM motors will also have larger flywheels so they turn the pump the same speed as the 1800 RPM motors as far as I remember.

20200623_233000_resized_1.jpg 20200623_233012_resized_1.jpg 20200623_233017_resized_1.jpg 20200623_233024_resized_1.jpg 20200623_233103_resized_1.jpg

More people say the same thing as Sloinker said! "I shoulda got the 7.5HP compressor". AND an 80 or 100 Gallon tank AND Vertical to save space!

A lot of 7.5 horse are built that way. You will never be sorry you bought a qt-5 quincy, or a champion that runs the pump at less than 1000 rpm. They last, and resell when you are done with them. If you have the money just do it, 80 gallon qt-5. If you ever have to move a flatbed service will do it no problem, and moving companies do it all the time.

The "true" 5 HP on my Bel-Air is quite large.

I have moved mine once laying down in the truck bed, with the oil drained and once standing up on the skids, securely lashed to my 5x8 trailer.

Both times by myself.

Last edited:
That Saylor Beall is the best thing out there if you want to pay for it. My friend that has a body shop
has a V-4, 10HP Saylo rand it's about 30 years old. No problems ever. Just change the oil.
You have the best!

Saylor Beall looks great! The 80 gallon 5HP with starter and after cooler is $3500....ouch. I wonder where their single phase versus 3 phase cutoff is.

I bought mine used off craigslist almost 8 years ago for $700.

Built in the 1980's.

I'd say it's a good product.

This is the new version- $1800

18.5 CFM@90

I think their naming has changed as mine was rated 32 and cost $3000 new.

belaire318vn_500.jpg

Well, I had my dog out for our morning walk Saturday, and there was an estate sale around the corner. I decided to pop in quick to see about any tools up for grabs. Tucked in the back, under the stairwell, was a 1990 Ingersoll Rand, T10, 5hp, 60 gal unit. $356, as they had 25% off, last day of sale, some help from my cousin, and we pulled it about a 1/8 mile, down the road, on a quick set up cart ! I just need to wire it up, and give it a try. Doesn't seem like it had a lot of usage, as it's pretty clean for a 30 yr old unit. I'm hoping it will do for now, and will let you all know. THANKS to All that responded in this search, and Stay Well. Hope to see most of you at Carlisle in July, at the Tent !
0627201338.jpg
0627201414.jpg

Great buy, put a big fan on the pump when you sandblast, keep the oil changed and it will hold up well.

Auto Transport Service
Back