• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAS MILEAGE MW

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
I'm getting 6-7 mpg, max clone 63 Fury. 3.50 suregrip, 727
Checking if this is what others get

That sounds good to me. Mine is 13 to 1 comp 500 cu in w/ 4.56 -1 gears and takes a gallon or two to go 1/4 mile! I'd say you're doing better than me. ruffcut
PS. drag race only car

I know my post wasn't helpful, but I think you should be able to do better with the gear you have. You didn't give much info as far as size of engine and compression, etc. What carbs are you using? Ethanol gas won't give good milage also.

I wouldn't think that was out of range at all. See if it's running rich at cruise, and if you can get away with less accelerator pump shot. Might help a bit.

I know my post wasn't helpful, but I think you should be able to do better with the gear you have. You didn't give much info as far as size of engine and compression, etc. What carbs are you using? Ethanol gas won't give good milage also.

MW=426 factory 63 carbs, the smaller AFB's
I didn't get any engine build specs since it was done in New York in 2000
One thing that contributes to poor mileage is the dist is locked out and no vac advance. I can get 30-32 degs with some octane boost with 91 premium. I would guess maybe 11-1
The 29' tires with 3.50 gears does make it very drivable on the road

I'll add I'm not concerned just asking if this is normal compared to like cars

Last edited:
In the 90's ran a crossram on my stock Hemi auto trans 3.54 and 26.5 tires. Got 10/11 on highway only around town 7.
D2.jpg

It's a MW ! Why Care about mpg ?
Use your Right Foot, and ENJOY IT !!!

If you are running it on the street most of the time you may seriously want to consider getting a distributor with vac advance. You can always tailor the initial and mechanical to your needs with an FBO limiter plate. The locked out units are usually race-only. Some good info in this article.
https://www.moparaction.com/2020/08/16/advance-to-go/

Sounds about right to me. Add vac advance and it’ll hit something like 10. Done that before.

While I don't have a crossram, we have a 505 with cnc'd standard port heads (flow ~300 cfm @ .500 lift) topped off by a ported Holley Street Dominator and a Demon 850 carb. With 3.54 gears I have gotten 11 mpg on the highway driving to out of town events. Timing is locked at 36° total and I could probably get better mileage by adding timing on the highway. I just haven't felt the need to experiment.

I get 10-12 with 499ci and ported Holley SD with Edelbrock avs highway gears mixed driving and I'm good with that, 200-250 miles a tank and lots of power with the stroker despite taller gears. I'm running vacuum advance which seems to help. Any less than 7-8 I would be concerned just because I don't want to stop at the gas station every five minutes.

My old 383 I could get 18-20. More displacement and you lose mpg.

My BS here was in response to the following statement from MIKESPOLARA. I didn't quite understand a locked distributor & no vacuum advance. I have never personally read about it and I don't race cars anymore. :D

(One thing that contributes to poor mileage is the dist is locked out and no vac advance.)

Just for fun you could try this: Many years back I had an 82 Ramcharger 318 4 speed 4wd. Well, the smog motor with everything set to factory was giving me a lot of pinging from the motor going up hill and running higher grade fuel helped a little but costly pushing the weight of the truck with 33" tires and such. I read that there was a timing chain kit with multiple installation ways to give it more balls without the need for higher octane but might affect emissions. Well, a friend had given me a digital vacuum gauge which was cool, so I decided to use it to adjust the vacuum to the distributor from the drivers seat. I bisected the vacuum line going to the distributor and routed 2 hoses through the firewall and through a small ball valve and then through the vacuum gauge. The ball valve was on the manifold vacuum side and the return to the distributor side. I could adjust the vacuum to the distributor as I drove the truck. I could hear the pinging and tweak it out. It worked great & still does. My brother still has the truck to this day. I remember having dreams about patenting my little "kit" and becoming a millionaire, however, the dream would dissipate when I also dreamed that I was violating emission laws and was going to be sued & end up in prison, LOL.
:lol:

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. I daily drive a ‘68 Satellite with a 383 2bbl. I can get 13 mpg if I worry about it. I usually get about 9.

I think it should be better.
I once got almost 17 mpg with my 66 charger in stock form with the AFB carb.
I've got 14.5 going to Carlisle with a .455 cam and atomic EFI but that was setting the AFR pretty high like 15:1.

Yes the carb makes a huge difference with fuel mileage on these engines. The 383 I ran had a late model Edelbrock avs 650cfm. It has super small primary throttle bores and bigger secondaries. It wasnt a powerhouse WOT but the engine was very responsive and sipped fuel at cruise with vacuum advance.

Remember with the cross ran you are running on 4 barrells ALL the time! My MAX is set up with 13.5, 3705 carbs, 4.11 gears, manual shift TF, no vac advance and 28" tires. I tell people I get 5 MPG. Maybe not even. When I punch it I do watch the gas gauge drop! It is WAY too hard to keep your foot out of it. And I am running 110 octane leaded at about $13 or $14 a gallon! The 3705s are supposed to be 750 CFM.

Remember with the cross ran you are running on 4 barrells ALL the time! My MAX is set up with 13.5, 3705 carbs, 4.11 gears, manual shift TF, no vac advance and 28" tires. I tell people I get 5 MPG. Maybe not even. When I punch it I do watch the gas gauge drop! It is WAY too hard to keep your foot out of it. And I am running 110 octane leaded at about $13 or $14 a gallon! The 3705s are supposed to be 750 CFM.
I'm guessing that's about what I'll be getting also. At this point, after the lengthy build, I just want to get the 330 on the road, and use it before they are Deemed "illegal"...

Auto Transport Service
Back