• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gas tank ground

sdyer233

Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone do me the huge favor of finding me a picture of the location of the fuel tank ground strap? My gas and temp gauge are not working and I'm sick of running out of gas. If anyone else has any idea of a solution that would be cool too. Non of the fuel parts have ever been messed with or off the car so I'm not sure why it's not working.

The ground strap goes between the small section of rubber from the sending unit and the fuel line running to the front. You can also use a section of wire and a couple hose clamps. Make sure the lines are clean to get a good ground. Also make sure that the fuel guage wire is in good shape and connected to the sending unit. Good Luck

Is the sending unit the back of the tank with the rubber hoses coming out? Or is it located on top of the tank?

The sending unit is on the front of the tank, facing the differential, on the top half of the tank. It has the hoses coming out of it. I would check the condition of the hoses and see if the fuel gauge wire has a good connection.

Here is what my 73 looked like before I removed and replaced the tank.
DSC04054small.jpg

If both the gas gauge and temp gauge are not working, you may also want to check the instrument voltage limiter on the back of the dash.

I had this issue and there we two problems identified above. My voltage limiter was not working and nor was the tank earth connected. I fitted an Autometer gas gauge and earthed the gauge and then made my own tank strap earth. The latter is vital if the gauge is to read correctly. Mine works a treat now.

This helps a lot i had a leak on my tank pulled it , fixed it & put it back all grear but my gauge doesn't work anymore goes to 1/8 & stays there ...i remember pulling that clip like ground strap but not putting it back so this afternoon I'll check & make a video if that solves it...all works on my 71

I just did a tank replacement in my '72 wagon - gotta have that strap! The tank "grounds" through the retaining straps, but the pickup/sending unit is isolated from the metal tank by its rubber/plastic gasket. One end of my strap is long-gone (one of the clips), so I have it attached to the chassis-side line with a regular ol' hose clamp, to hold it tight. I only put 2 "test" gallons in the tank last night to make sure no leaks, but this setup has worked for decades for me on the old (leaky) tank.

...The tank "grounds" through the retaining straps, but the pickup/sending unit is isolated from the metal tank by its rubber/plastic gasket...
Actually, the tank can be grounded by the tank straps, but is not guaranteed due to the tank pad and tank coatings. The rubber seal does go between the pick-up and tank, but the lock ring holds the whole mess to the tank and grounds the pick-up assy to the tank. The fuel line is clamped along its length assuring a good ground, but because of the short length of fuel line, is isolated from it. This is the reason for the ground strap to connect the pick-up to the steel fuel line. I know that you know this, just wanted to clarify the pick-up/rubber seal thing... :thumbsup:

I just did a tank replacement in my '72 wagon - gotta have that strap! The tank "grounds" through the retaining straps, but the pickup/sending unit is isolated from the metal tank by its rubber/plastic gasket. One end of my strap is long-gone (one of the clips), so I have it attached to the chassis-side line with a regular ol' hose clamp, to hold it tight. I only put 2 "test" gallons in the tank last night to make sure no leaks, but this setup has worked for decades for me on the old (leaky) tank.
Wouldn't the lock ring
Actually, the tank can be grounded by the tank straps, but is not guaranteed due to the tank pad and tank coatings. The rubber seal does go between the pick-up and tank, but the lock ring holds the whole mess to the tank and grounds the pick-up assy to the tank. The fuel line is clamped along its length assuring a good ground, but because of the short length of fuel line, is isolated from it. This is the reason for the ground strap to connect the pick-up to the steel fuel line. I know that you know this, just wanted to clarify the pick-up/rubber seal thing... :thumbsup:
Was typing pretty much the same thing.....you got me at the tree lol

Fair enough.

I just assume have all the grounds in place. Worst case, if your car is missing the strap and you aren't doing a concours restore...get a piece of household copper conductor and 2 hose clamps.

Auto Transport Service
Back