• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank sending unit float.

Tony Tee

Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
Anyone try this a plastic float yet? Any good? It fits good on a oem sending unit and has a second groove.. but I'm not dropping my tank any time soon to try it. and is about 4 grams lighter...found it on ebay. For $10
20220615_201240-1.jpg

Dont know if the 4 grams will be an issue but for $10 what the heck give it a shot. My repop sender from Right stuff has a plastic float still dont read accurate. One day I will pull it and bend the arm a bit see if it helps.

Im thinking the 4 grams will be an issue,let us know how it works out.

When I was having the sending units reproduced by the original vendor to Chrysler, they were using the plastic floats. I was told that the plastic floats were resistant to issues with the modern day fuels. The current fuels had an issue eating up the areas in which the brass units were soldered together.

Dont know if the 4 grams will be an issue but for $10 what the heck give it a shot. My repop sender from Right stuff has a plastic float still dont read accurate. One day I will pull it and bend the arm a bit see if it helps.
None of the aftermarket ones are.

The weight difference will not affect anything- it is floating on top of the gas.
The position of the resister arm will be the same.

I can't speak for all B bodies but you can swap the fuel pickup / sender on a 67 coronet without dropping the tank.
You need to unhook the shocks from the bottom and let the rear housing hang.
Gives you extra room to work.
Make sure you have a low fuel level.

The weight difference will not affect anything- it is floating on top of the gas.
The position of the resister arm will be the same.
Agreed here.....if there are no leaks, the difference in weight or material composition has no bearing on the ability to float.

Remember, ships are made of wood, steel, concrete....and they float. The displacement is made possible by the ability to hold out the liquid.

I changed the float in my 64 without dropping the tank, go for it.

Auto Transport Service
Back