• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasket set for a 383 with 902 head

fred_flag

Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
So I am refreshing my motor, it's a 1968 383 motor with a pair of 902 head.
The block look like it was oversize by 0.030" at some point.
I am cleaning the motor and the head only, I don't touch the base or the piston in it.
My question is: What gasket set do you recommend?
I search and Fel-Pro have two set, KS2110 and 2601001 that look identical and I can't find spec for those set, so it's kind of hard to select one or the other...
As for other company, I do not have much experience on this.

This is a budget rebuild, so no, I will not machined the head or the block and I don't want to spend 1000$ to fit a gasket set.
Thanks!
IMG_0721.JPG

No, it's 902 head:
3769902 – 1974, 400/440 B/RB-series big-block, 2.08/1.74 valves

I know that they are replacement head, I have no idea what happens to this motor...

OK I was completely off for the head number...
They are 452 head, I have attached the picture of the casting number.
4006452 – 1976-1978, 400/440 B/RB-series big-block, 2.08/1.74 valves, 81.5cc
IMG_0589.JPEG
IMG_0460.JPG

The motor casting number match the year and motor type.
2468130 – 1959-1971, 383 B-series big-block

I did not see the explanation in your first post, sorry.
Since I have to rebuild the oil pump and the rebuild kit contain the gasket and O-ring, I will probably go with the KS2110.
I wonder if I should not indulge myself and buy a metal shim head gasket:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-1135g/make/dodge

What are the pistons in the motor with the single valve cutout and the center Bolt ?
The reason I ask is my 1970 383 HP motor had 1 piston in #4 that looked like that and the rest were flat tops which I know was added by someone who had the motor apart at some point. Just never seen pistons like that before.

What are the pistons in the motor with the single valve cutout and the center Bolt ?
The reason I ask is my 1970 383 HP motor had 1 piston in #4 that looked like that and the rest were flat tops which I know was added by someone who had the motor apart at some point. Just never seen pistons like that before.

I have no f**king clue...
I bought the car already in pieces and the motor and transmission were at another storage.
The motor was already half open, the head gasket were remove at some point and the head bolt back without it.
There is a "030" stamped on the piston, so I am almost sure the motor was rebuild at some point, so it's probably aftermarket piston.
They are all the same on my motor, but I was not able to find the same piston type on internet. Probably an old model that do not exist anymore...

I would get;
2 steel shims (+gasket spray)
Felpro t chain set
2 rubber oil pans
Intake pan with block off
I think that about covers it

I have no f**king clue...
I bought the car already in pieces and the motor and transmission were at another storage.
The motor was already half open, the head gasket were remove at some point and the head bolt back without it.
There is a "030" stamped on the piston, so I am almost sure the motor was rebuild at some point, so it's probably aftermarket piston.
They are all the same on my motor, but I was not able to find the same piston type on internet. Probably an old model that do not exist anymore...
I would think a machine shop did that. Can you post a better close up?

Yes steel shims will up your compression as those heads are for the later lower compression engines but they have improved cooling passages than earlier heads.

This shows up as a sbf kit...?

To me it would depend if you want the steel shim head gasket..or the fat composite ones.
If you didn't care,, the ks2110 looks fine.

I always get the individual gaskets that I prefer.
I guess I fat fingered something to miss by that much. Thanks

I did not see the explanation in your first post, sorry.
Since I have to rebuild the oil pump and the rebuild kit contain the gasket and O-ring, I will probably go with the KS2110.
I wonder if I should not indulge myself and buy a metal shim head gasket:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-1135g/make/dodge

Why would you spend $4 more and get less gaskets/O-rings? Spend less and get a spare oil pump gasket!

Why would you spend $4 more and get less gaskets/O-rings? Spend less and get a spare oil pump gasket!
I though the KS2110 was cheaper, not the other way around...
That's dumb, I will buy the cheaper one, it make sense.

Yeah I think RemCharger may be correct on a machine shop cutout on those pistons because that looks pretty rough to be produced that way. Also can see it looks like a valve dent on the other side. Did the motor have a really high lift cam in it ?
I disagree. The pistons are flat tops, and the valves crashed. It is possible that someone free handed a valve notch, but I doubt a machine shop did that (unless a hack machine shop did it). I get asked to machine piston tops and valve notches some times, but say I can't as I do not have a piston vise to do the job properly and accurately.

Auto Transport Service
Back