• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasket set recommends please

Any one of those gasket would be fine, and you won't notice any difference between them. The 0.042" and 0.051" are the oem felpro, while the 0.039" is the HP felpro gasket. For the price, I would stick to the pair in the FelPro full set 260-1001. If you opted for the Mopar Performance P4286754 set from Mancini Racing, the CR would be 10.14:1 and an additional $25 plus shipping.

While it seems some people like these SuperPerfomance gaskets, the head gaskes from them are the same as the Mopar Perfomance ones, AND $10 more expensive.

If you choose to use the steel shim gaskets, you will need to use copper spray on them before you install them. Spray both sides, let it tack up, then install. ONLY use copper spray on the steel shim gaskets, and NOT on the composite FelPro gaskets as they are installed dry.

What CR should I be shooting for here?

Like 69bee said, I think you’re right where you need to be with any of those gaskets. I’ve used steel shim gaskets as well, but seems like you’d be running into piston to valve clearance issues.

Thanks, wondering if there’s a complete set with the .039 head gaskets? I’ll look around.

So what I’m hearing is the 9.4-5 ish CR is good enough.?
Cheers

I'm one that likes to push my compression up but it also depends on the cam. If you have cam that builds a lot of cylinder pressure (RV type cams of yesterday), having high compression will cause it to ping under load at low rpm but a cam that bleeds off pressure at lower rpm will work with the higher static CR numbers. It just depends on what you want to do with it....

Like 69bee said, I think you’re right where you need to be with any of those gaskets. I’ve used steel shim gaskets as well, but seems like you’d be running into piston to valve clearance issues.
The cam will play a part in that....and not hard to check.

I'm one that likes to push my compression up but it also depends on the cam. If you have cam that builds a lot of cylinder pressure (RV type cams of yesterday), having high compression will cause it to ping under load at low rpm but a cam that bleeds off pressure at lower rpm will work with the higher static CR numbers. It just depends on what you want to do with it....

The cam will play a part in that....and not hard to check.

What’s an example of an rv cam of yesteryear vs the rv cams of today? I guess, how do I determine what profiles build pressure where etc...?
Thanks

Last edited:
What’s an example of an rv cam of yesteryear vs the rv cams of today? I guess, how do I determine what profiles build pressure where etc...?
Thanks
Not sure if today's RV cams are any different but one tell tail sign is usually a late intake opening. Say if the cam card says the intake valve is opening at say 5* BTDC @ .050 lift, it's probably going to build some cylinder PSI. It also depends on the rest of the valve events....but that's the first thing I look at. I'm no cam guru so it's best to consult with someone who is. I know just enough for me to ask others what they think about certain cams lol

Auto Transport Service
Back