• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasoline- what's the difference between the stations?

C'mon Bob, we both know that's simple rape of the unaware, pure and simple. Literally 3 miles off the freeway in Arizona, it's $3.99. Fill a 30 gallon tank, save $100!
Do you know what the CETANE rating is or what % of sulfur is allowed.....or how these affect the NOx emissions? Some diesel engines use EGR to control NOx.....but it just depends on one's perspective....???
BOB RENTON

My perspective is: if I can save $50 for a 20 mile round trip out of my way (I gallon of diesel, $3.29), I'm gonna DO IT!

I worked in the automotive chemical industry. One of our suppliers (who also sold gasoline additives to Shell, BP, etc) told me this:
1. All "base fuel" in your area comes from same gasoline refinery in your area
2. At the refinery, when filling up the tanker trucks, each brand of gasoline gets their own "additive package" (the stuff this guy sold) to their gasoline.
3. "Additive packages" contain things like fuel injector cleaning chemicals, upper cylinder lubricants, etc.
4. Additives cost way more than the base fuel, so more additive = more cost
5. For all brands, regular has the least additive, mid grade has more, and premium has the highest amount of additive added.
6. "Top Tier" or "Tier 1" gasoline has more (extra) additive in it.....so, 87 octane BP gasoline (top tier) may have as much additive as 93 octane "el cheapo" gasoline, or even more.
7. Least amount of additive is in el cheapo 87 octane regular. The most amount of additive is in Tier 1 premium gasoline.

I've always thought of it this way....if you run cheap gas, put some fuel system (carb or injectors) in your gas tank every couple months. If you run Tier 1 gasoline, you don't need it because it's already in your gasoline.

[/URL]

TOP TIER™ Station Finder - Find a Station Near You

When was the last time you saw only a .20 cent difference between cost of gas and diesel, I can't remember .....
IMG_0550.jpg

I think "top tier" is a quality/quantity rating of the additive package. Costco's gas is rated top tier (meaning g high quality package), Sam's is not top tier. But Sam's sells diesel, Costco doesn't, at least the ones I go to dont.
Filled up diesel this morning at Sam's in Socal. $5.02. .70-$1 cheaper than name brand here, and 27 cents higher than three days ago..... and $1.70 higher than Sam's in Az.

"TOP TIER".....is this just a brand name? Would a better comparison be based on the octane rating (R+M / 2) or the additive package or omission of ethanol or a BTU/gallon? As I use to live in Western Pennsylvania, I've never heard of this brand.....must be indigenous to where you live........and definitely not in the mid west.
BOB RENTON

Approved additive package...

Attachments

• TOP_TIER_Detergent_Gasoline_Performance_Standard_revF_2019-12 (1).pdf
    238.9 KB · Views: 151
Kinda funny subject, and answers (all from the same tank?). But I won't argue the subject, I agree with the beer, oil, spark plugs analogy.
FWIW
In the San Francisco Bay area there are, specifically, a Shell refinery, 2 Valero refineries, 2 Chevron refineries, 2 Phillips (Conoco) 66 refineries, a Marathon (Arco) refinery, and about 5 or 6 private label refineries.....

Last edited:
my
I have been having some conversations with friends about gasoline. What they use in their dailies and their muscle cars.
I was told by my engine builder to use Shell or Chevron for my 383 and to NEVER use Arco.
I've been using Arco in '04 Chevy Tahoe (daily driver) for years and haven't had trouble.

What does Shell/Chevron have that makes it better? And/or what makes Arco so bad?

Another point I hear from friends is that they all come from the same refinery so what does it matter?
my mother and uncle both worked in a refinery , all our gasoline comes from that refinery , each brand has their own additives blended in before delivery .
Uncle could tell you more about oil and its blending than you would believe !!

my

my mother and uncle both worked in a refinery , all our gasoline comes from that refinery , each brand has their own additives blended in before delivery .
Uncle could tell you more about oil and its blending than you would believe !!
As I've designed, built, and commissioned several alkalation distillation blending unites at several refinery installations, it would be interesting to learn about gasoline production, blending operations. The alkalation units I designed used sulfuric acid as the catalyst to reform butienes and iso-propanes into octane concentrates....it's all done with remote instrumentation and computers and in process derritive blending..
BOB RENTON

so wha
As I've designed, built, and commissioned several alkalation distillation blending unites at several refinery installations, it would be interesting to learn about gasoline production, blending operations. The alkalation units I designed used sulfuric acid as the catalyst to reform butienes and iso-propanes into octane concentrates....it's all done with remote instrumentation and computers and in process derritive blending..
BOB RENTON
ts your point ??

sorry ,
I was inviting you and your Uncle to share his experiences with oil refineries and blending of oil and its derritives and to compare.....
BOB RENTON
Sorry , he got pissed at them and quit , then ran the big 10,000 acre firng range in Raton , New Mexico .. past away some yrs back , the guy was really into guns and everything related ....

Auto Transport Service
Back