• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gated shifter for console car suggestions

patander

Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum and looking for some help. I have a 67 GTX with an auto console. Putting new 440 engine and 727 trans in it. I would like to upgrade the shift kit to add a shift gate and possibly line lock button. I want to keep the console looking at stock as possible and looking for some replacement options that would look nice. I like the idea of the Hurst or B&M shifters with gate and line lock options. I would welcome feedback!

I upgraded my console shifter in my 1967 Coronet R/T with a SlapStick shifter out of a 'Cuda. With some work, I was able to adapt my '67 handle to the 'Cuda ratchet shift mechanism to make it look stock. So now, it only moves one gear, until you let pressure off, and shift manually to next gear. As an added bonus, it is a straight bolt-on to stock console.

I upgraded my console shifter in my 1967 Coronet R/T with a SlapStick shifter out of a 'Cuda. With some work, I was able to adapt my '67 handle to the 'Cuda ratchet shift mechanism to make it look stock. So now, it only moves one gear, until you let pressure off, and shift manually to next gear.
Mopar Slap Stick. The best shifter on the planet. (unless you have a reverse manual valve body) LOL

Hurst used to make a Dual Gate. I was never impressed compared to the Slap Stick.
upload_2021-10-4_12-30-18.png

I upgraded my console shifter in my 1967 Coronet R/T with a SlapStick shifter out of a 'Cuda. With some work, I was able to adapt my '67 handle to the 'Cuda ratchet shift mechanism to make it look stock. So now, it only moves one gear, until you let pressure off, and shift manually to next gear. As an added bonus, it is a straight bolt-on to stock console.
I guess I didn't consider the obvious - a slap stick! I think I actually have one. I will look at them and compare to the others.. Thanks for the replies.

Please post pictures and description of what modifications you did to make your slapstick shifter fit 1967 console. Im curios because I purchased stock slapstick shifter a few years ago but havent gotten around to do the mod myself in my '67 Satellite. Thanks
Copper

Please post pictures and description of what modifications you did to make your slapstick shifter fit 1967 console. Im curios because I purchased stock slapstick shifter a few years ago but havent gotten around to do the mod myself in my '67 Satellite. Thanks
Copper
I did this conversion about 30 years ago, and don't really recall what I had to do. I don't remember how the shifter comes apart. I vaguely remember that I had one of the machinists at work make something to join the longer '67 handle actuator to the SlapStik mechanism. I wish my memory was better. I don't really want to pull my console apart to have a look at it.

Last edited:
Hurst used to make a Dual Gate. I was never impressed compared to the Slap Stick. View attachment 1175014
I wonder what in the world was the intended application for the pictured dual gate?
Reverse at the BOTTOM of the pattern, with a three speed? And reverse not available on the "race" side... so you can't back up after a burnout?
No wonder you weren't impressed!
(My guess would be some sort of "jetaway" Olds trans. Sure not a powerglide, or turbo 350/400).

Copper
I think I am going to try this and will keep you posted on progress

Auto Transport Service
Back