• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gathering spares, just in case....

New federal crash standards that were enacted January 1st 1970 required the reflectors in the taillights. They also made the wingcars illegal to build after that date,due to them having the nosecone instead of a 5 mph crash bumper.

The 5 mph standard wasn't enacted by 1970. That came later. I've read that an early standard was 2.5 mph.
Heck, RANDY would know.

I think if you have the room available, it might be good to keep things like the grill you saw, or any of the trim pieces on the outside of the car along with tail lights and such. I know some stuff is repopped for our cars, but how long will they continue to make it is the question. I say if you have the room, when you come across something maybe pick it up, specially if you get a good deal on it.

They will make parts as long as they sell. What does not sell will be discontinued. AMD has already discontinued a lot of stuff that didn't sell well,other manufacturers will do the same. Look at the price of the pie tins for the air cleaners. They used to be $29.00. Try to buy one now.

I read that all the Plymouth wingcars had to be built before January 1st 1970,because of the 5 mph federal bumper standard being enacted on that date. By 1973 all cars had those guard rail looking bumpers on them except for Chrysler cars that managed to get away with spacing the bumpers away from the body and installing those damn knee knocker bumperettes on them. By 75 they had the guard rail bumpers on them too.

Last edited:
By 1974, there were some oppressive bumper restrictions. You can look at the other models and see we weren’t the only ones affected by it. Camaro, Mustang, the Mavericks, Novas all had those demolition derby type bumpers by 1974-75.
I read awhile back that the 5 mph detail wasn’t the first strike though, that it was either 2 or 2.5 mph.
The problem with the Superbird was that it had no front bumper at all.
There were some regulations that did go into effect January 1 1970. I’d love to see some documents showing what they were.

I got my 5 mph bumper on...
20240410_145144.jpg

92bd5c25a2da49283e406348d10fad8e.jpg

We're all hoarders, but some of us take it to a new level.

Disclaimer: It's not hoarding if you're "collecting" Mopar parts.

I have LOTS of fenders for A body cars. Grilles are reproduced for the Dusters and Darts. Plenty of interior parts are too. Seats, carpets, door panels are easy enough to find.
I have some '70 Charger taillight assemblies. I learned that at some point, the '70 came with a bigger reflector!

View attachment 1647645

The '69 and early '70s don't.

View attachment 1647647
The late '70 tailights are the only ones that had any reflectors at all.

The overall pattern of the lens reflected a little light...but not a lot. The reflectors were added, along with the larger side markers, due to DOT regs for '70.

I contemplate spares as well - grille, bumpers, taillights - but if I did, I'd need patina'd pieces since my car is an unrestored original, and anything shiny and new would look....out of place. Like to the point that I've considered gloss-clearcoating my taillight lenses (they're a little dull and fading)...but I don't want them to stand out that much. Maybe I'll try a matte clear, to bring the color out without being "look at me" shiny...

I did that for a long time. I ended up with so much stuff I'll never use, it makes me sick. I've been selling most at swaps...but still a bunch. If one of my cars gets hit, my insurance company will have to deal with it....and me.

I prefer to fix everything myself, within my ability of course.
Stuff like dash switches and other things not being reproduced ? It makes sense to grab them when you see them.

I don't have any stock[ish] original musclecars, anymore. It's kind of nice.

"As long as you have the spare parts, you'll never need them. When you no longer have the part... that's when you'll need it." - WileERobby

I don't have any stock[ish] original musclecars, anymore. It's kind of nice.
I'll never be scouring the swap meets for original carburetors or wheel covers but some original stuff can't be found in the junkyards like you could 20 years ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back