• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear Vendors OD

Please note that almost all of the increased MPG will be on the highway, IE extended periods of travel in OD.

That's just the way it is, even with new cars and today's technology.

Stop and start city driving is an MPG killer in any car.

My commute has a few stretches of "get to 60 as quick as you can and then stop" that also sucks MPG.

If you won't be doing a lot of extended (no stop signs or traffic lights) driving, that OD might be a waste.

OTOH, if 50% of your normal driving pattern is non-stop, you'll at least be getting improved mileage 50% of the time.

Where in MN are you? Tranztech in Dubuque Iowa does OD conversions.
To me, if you want od you really need more tq either with stronger engine or more rear gear. 318 with 2.50 gear probably has poor vacuum readings lugging along as someone else mentioned. 80's 318s did it but with 302 casting fast swirl heads.

I will be running 75-80 mph for extended
periods. The vacuum in my car is fantastic
at cruising speeds (18-20). At 75 mph should be around 2300 rpm. Plus the ease of installation
makes it very enticing.

I would guess the gear vendor unit weighs about 70lbs. Not to include the housing extension.
Is the 70 a typo? I haven't separated the components on the used setup I bought, but I can't see anything that looks that heavy.

I'd be amazed to learn that the GV unit weighs more than 35 lbs.
Maybe I'm just an unusually strong man but it didn't seem that heavy to me.

GV unit weighs 40lbs at most including the adapter for a 727 and I have the deep sump version. Install is simple, even removing the tail shaft housing and installing the adapter is less than an hour. However, on the 71-74, the “small dimple” for the bolts on top were a significant amount of massaging with a 2lb hammer so I’d put the trans in but allow it to be raised and lowered easily to test fit the unit multiple times. That said, it’s not the tunnel reshaping needed for a 46RH that I did or, even a conversion to a 4 speed that requires welding in the shifter hump. I bought mine used so the price was half or less and GV support was great for getting me the speedo right angle and a driveshaft yoke.

Last edited:
Is the 70 a typo? I haven't separated the components on the used setup I bought, but I can't see anything that looks that
Ok maybe not exactly 70 but definitely more than 45.

Auto Transport Service
Back