• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gear vendors over drive! Worth the money?

Gear Vendor is the ONLY option if you are running an auto trans, if you are running a manual trans then you have options.

Everyone forgets about Passon's 4 speed overdrive (which is what I have in my 1966 Charger) and is a GREAT transmission option.

I don't get all of the hoopla for a 5 or 6 speed trans in our old cars.

There are only two reasons to have either one and that is for less wear and tear on the engine at highway speeds and maybe some increased mileage. You will NEVER see enough savings in mileage to overcome the cost of conversion with the lowest price of any of these options with the amount of miles we put on these old cars, so don't do it with just that in mind. To me there is VERY little advantage to go to the 5 speed and especially with the expected cost of the 5 speed which is still not released for sale. I purchased the 4 speed OD gear set For $1845. plus shipping and the only other thing I had to buy was a new 18 spline clutch disc as the new gear set has the Hemi trans gears and output shaft. I installed it in my existing 4 speed case. I used the existing shifter and linkage and passengers have no idea that the trans is different at all unless they happen to be watching the tach when I shift into 4th. In my case with my 3.54 Dana rear and 28" high tires it brings the adjusted rear end ratio down to a 2.83 ratio which is substancial. The gear spread from 1st thru 3rd is very close to the same as a Torqueflite auto and if you are running the 1/4 mile you run it in the first three gears only.
Compare it to the cost and extra costs associated with the Keisler conversion and it just makes no sence to me at all. In Mopars you have to make serious floor pan cutting sometimes including the cross members, buy a new shifter and complete clutch. WAY too much money in my opinion.

Below are links to the Passon 4 speed OD and the 5 speed OD so you can compare the differences for yourselves.

Here is the link to the specs on the 4 speed
http://www.passonperformance.com/images/stories/passon_documents/Passon_Overdrive_Flyer_20091109.pdf

Here is the link to the 5 speed.
http://www.passonperformance.com/images/stories/passon_documents/Passon_5-Speed_Flyer_2010-11-18.pdf

You make some great points.

For me, the main reason to have an overdrive isn't the savings in gas, or wear and tear on the engine or drive-line. It is the wear and tear on me. If I go on the highway with my 73 Road Runner, the drone and 3500 RPM wears at me after a while. I like the idea of using all of the torque my old big block is blessed with and cruise down the road at a low RPM, all while being able to have a nice conversation with my wife.

I am 100% with you in that I do not want to do extensive surgery on my floor to fit another 5 speed tranny in there. I have a bench seat too, so no console to hide the carnage. That's why the Passion or Gear Vendors solution is the way for me. If money is no object (and it is available), I like the OD numbers on the Passion A-855. To me, the steeper the OD is, the better...

The current issue of Mopar Action magazine has a short writeup on this subject in the tech section, p. 92. They list for an automatic OD tranny - A518A with block adapter (requires major surgery), Keisler bolt-in 4L60 (just a minor floor massage from what I've read), TCI's 6X 6-speed auto (tough to install), or the GV OD (they state "weird u-joint angles - I know you're supposed to re-adjust the pinion angle after install).

I'm in the same boat and was thinking the 4L60 might be the way to go. Another member on here on another thread has a GV and cautions that it may not live up to your expectations if you have a 3.91 or 3.55 gear due to the reduction ratio. I think he has 4.10 or 4.30 gears and likes it with those.

See here: http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...nsmissions-for-a-70-RR&highlight=Gear+vendors

Remember that the staff over at Mopar Action get huge bucks from Keisler for advertising. The A518 is an easy swap in all honesty. The only downside is cutting the bellhousing off if you're putting it behind a big block. The Keisler 4L60 - I have no experience with. The GV OD is a fun thing - played with several and have had good experience. The TCI 6X I installed required major floor pan work - but was a sweet setup when done.

Auto Transport Service
Back