• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gearbox

Loulang

Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
Every dam parts store I go to says they can’t get me a gearbox and the one that can we’re the lines hook up is way different. I have found a few on eBay but there around 7-900 dollars wth. Anyone have any suggestions? I live in northern Michigan and there is NO one that rebuilds these. I have seen a few videos on rebuilding them and I can probably handle the job but if I could find a reasonable priced one rebuilt I’d probably go that route. The one I have leaks were the steering shaft hooks up (second pic)Appreciate any suggestions Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Firm feel, steer and gear ..they are out there.

Firm feel, steer and gear ..they are out there.
Ouch $750 hoping to find one cheaper than that and there in Washington was hoping to find something closer thanks for response

This is the one the auto parts store has but we’re the lines hook up is different.

8022CA59-0EF7-478C-9BF7-58B0D2AEDA4F.png

These are no longer common over the counter parts sales. It’s all become specialty/hobby.

Steer and gear offers three levels of "firmness".
I have the Middle "modern" one in both of mine.

But you could also buy a seal kit from them for $50?

I have found a few on eBay but there around 7-900 dollars wth. Anyone have any suggestions? Appreciate any suggestions Thanks in advance.
Sell your car and get out of the hobby, then you can quit your bitchin about the price of things!

Sell your car and get out of the hobby, then you can quit your bitchin about the price of things!
I got some words for you buddy but I’m not gonna go there if you ain’t got nothing nice to say don’t say anything at all

Steer and gear offers three levels of "firmness".
I have the Middle "modern" one in both of mine.

But you could also buy a seal kit from them for $50?
Thanks for the advice I’m gonna check them out. I did watch a few videos and did some reading in my repair manual I might just do the rebuild kit

Thanks for the advice I’m gonna check them out. I did watch a few videos and did some reading in my repair manual I might just do the rebuild kit
Just be VERY careful about the "centering" adjustment on top of the box.
If this is off the steering wheel will spin hard to right or left. (Viscously)
Debris in this valve will do the same thing although unexpectedly.

I actually set up an electric motor on a pallet, ran the pump and played with it.

Just be VERY careful about the "centering" adjustment on top of the box.
If this is off the steering wheel will spin hard to right or left. (Viscously)
Debris in this valve will do the same thing although unexpectedly.

I actually set up an electric motor on a pallet, ran the pump and played with it.
Oh yeah I found out about that lol I took the gearbox off my parts car and installed it and had to adjust it and it is a very fine adjustment lol till I finally got it not turning right or left by itself. After installing it I reached my hand through the steering wheel to start the car and that’s when I found out it was turning right all by itself lol

There is an aftermarket Borgeson box available that takes up less room. Also, the '66 and earlier boxes have the large return line nipple, while '67 and later have a small diameter line. These nipple housings are interchangeable, but steering centring may have to be adjusted. I have used a later "police" power steering box out of an '80's Diplomat police cruiser. These later boxes have a larger pitman shaft, and require a '70's Cordoba pitman arm to make them work.
I have also used a FirmFeel box on another project with good success. They used to vend at Mopar shows/swap meets at Norwalk and Columbus. Since I live in Ontario, I agreed to meet them at Norwalk with my rebuildable core, and purchase a rebuilt box from them.

I was being nice as well as honest, sorry you're so butthurt about it!!!!

I went with Steer and Gear "modern feel" in My Charger
best price
high quality
and great customer service

Thanks for the advice TN Mopar. My motor is at the engine builders right now getting torn all the way down so he knows what he’s working with and then we’re gonna figure out what to get. Do I need to have a H pipe installed? When I purchased the car it was just straight duels and dumped before the rear end. I have already purchased protective sleeves.

I just talked to them. Do you remember your final price?
No I am sorry
its been a day or two

I have a firm feel box in mine. You have to change the pitman arm (I think it was) to a newer like 71-74. It is fantastic, I recommend highly.

Auto Transport Service
Back