• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gearvendor

72Fourspeed

Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody here have a gearvendor 833 combo ? I need to get specs/measurements of the adaptor. Gearvendors will not sell them seperately & I have found a used od without an adaptor. So I need to copy one. Have a machinist lined up to make one, but he needs specs. HELP ! Thanks, Don.

Does anybody here have a gearvendor 833 combo ? I need to get specs/measurements of the adaptor. Gearvendors will not sell them seperately & I have found a used od without an adaptor. So I need to copy one. Have a machinist lined up to make one, but he needs specs. HELP ! Thanks, Don.
Those bastards cling to their stuff with a deathgrip! I once found a GV in a Ford motorhome and just wanted a 727 adapter so I could install one in my 70 Charger. They said they'd sell one if I sent them the Ford adapter as a "core/exchange" plus $800.

Thats why I'm looking here. I found one reasonable, but need the 833 adaptor. The GV is a neat unit, but they are ruthless as far as support for used buyers. Maybe someone can help ?

The GV units are specific to the spline count on the output shaft. If you're buying a 727 unit to put on an 833, you might be fine, but if it's a TH400, you're getting in deep. Either way, in the long run, the frustration factor will be overwhelming and IHO, you won't be saving anything by not buying new.

Well, just got off the phone with gearvendors techline. I have good news, & bad news.
The high prices I had been warned about are true. $850 for the A-833 adaptor & sleeve.
On the good news side, they will take the orphan core I have available. So, $500 for complete used unit, $800 for adaptor = $1300 for GV unit. I think I'll sell one of the wife's kidneys & pull the trigger on the parts !
Seriously, I can recoup some of my original $500 by selling the transfer case that it is bolted to. Helps a little.

Well, just got off the phone with gearvendors techline. I have good news, & bad news.
The high prices I had been warned about are true. $850 for the A-833 adaptor & sleeve.
On the good news side, they will take the orphan core I have available. So, $500 for complete used unit, $800 for adaptor = $1300 for GV unit. I think I'll sell one of the wife's kidneys & pull the trigger on the parts !
Seriously, I can recoup some of my original $500 by selling the transfer case that it is bolted to. Helps a little.
I'm listening. To do again, I'd leave the 18 A833 in, and forgo the Keisler TKO 5.

Why not do an A833OD? It is similar to the GV final drive, and the gears could be put into your case if you couldn't find one locally. Bonus for aluminum case. Look in 80s vintage trucks for the one that has the B/E shifter bosses on the long tail.

Those SUCK ! The rpm drop between 1st and second gear totally sucks ***. Although expensive, the aftermarket new gear sets with overdrive that fit into the stock iron case is a better way to go. That is if you want to retain the original driveshaft and shifter.

Why not do an A833OD? It is similar to the GV final drive, and the gears could be put into your case if you couldn't find one locally. Bonus for aluminum case. Look in 80s vintage trucks for the one that has the B/E shifter bosses on the long tail.
I don't want a 3 speed. And that us what you end up with. Plus O.D. In addition, you can't split gears, should you want to. I guess under acceleration from a dead stop, you run first up to redline, flip the switch & run 1st over up to redline, then grab 2nd (still in over), run it up, then grab 3rd (still in over). Closes up the 1-2, & 2-3 gaps. Only Ronnie could grab second as fast as the electric solenoid. $$, yeah. But what aint anymore ? I should be all in @ 13-1400. If I can build, or score an adaptor on the cheap, then even less. And unlike the owner, the floors are virgin. What's not to like ?
I am now looking for that aluminum tailhousing. Did not know the truck trans had the proper shifter location. Thanks for that tip.

As a GV owner, that gear splitting is a fantasy. You can do it for fun on the highway and that's about it. In a drag car, it's useless. I wired mine to a foot switch and use it for OD on the interstate.

I agree, they tout "Gear Splitting" as a feature but it is an empty benefit. Any car making any power will accelerate so fast you'll never be able to switch into and out of OD between gears.

I mentioned that only because at some road speeds in town, I feel bogged in 4th & a little revved up in 3rd. I would probably run 3rd over a lot.

I say your on the right track. I will do a GV next year and drop my rear ratio from 3.91 to 3.23. I definitely following this thread.

So using your logic the modern six speeds are four speeds because 4th is 1:1? I don't get the 3 speed reference. What's stopping you from using the 4th gear? The slant 6 cars and trucks that use them use OD all the time.
Having installed the GV, splitting is fantasy. It doesn't work well on it's own (using their control box), and flipping the switch is a pain given you also need to flip it back and upshift. I've installed them for customers and driven the cars. With those experiences, I run A833ODs. If you want to drop serious coin on a modern 5 or 6 speed IMO it's pricey, but worth it. If you want OD on the cheap, use the A833OD because the GV is a lot of money and you will end up only using it as "4th over".

I've driven enough 3 speeds to remember the gear spread on both the 1-2, & 2-3 shifts leave a lot to be desired. Thats why I called it a 3 speed. I'm losing a gear that route.

When the ratio drops from 3.09 to 1.67, the engine really needs a broad torque curve!
That aftermarket gear set from Brewers has closer ratios so the rpm drop between shifts isn't so dramatic.

try reading this article http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transm...mopar-4-speed-fix-get-overdrive-and-strength/ I'm thinking about getting one for the RT ,looks to be the best of both worlds and they address the whole its just a 3 speed with od thing
m1701.gif

I've driven enough 3 speeds to remember the gear spread on both the 1-2, & 2-3 shifts leave a lot to be desired. Thats why I called it a 3 speed. I'm losing a gear that route.
I understand the spread as I've owned and drive a 3sp E body. The first change was to a to 4sp. So iI get it. But I also feel a 6sp has too many shifts for my taste so maybe that's just how we roll...lol.

I'll only use the splitter for a couple scenarios. In " unsupervised acceleration trials", 3rd gear cruising in town, and 65+ mph hiway cruising.
The Passon gearset DOES look good. Can you inagine THAT with the GV ? Oh, Baby that's what I like !

With the Passon gear set, factor in a new clutch and pressure plate cause it's an 18 spline input shaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back