• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General Lee, Confederate Flag & Politically Correct Foolishness

Flys-Lo

Reaction score
General Lee, Confederate Flag & PC Foolishness

I remember reading the silly controversy about Warner Brothers and the General Lee rooftop flag. On one side people claimed the flag and therefore the car and show were racist. On the other side people were proud of their heritage and most understood that the Confederate flag never represented slavery in the first place. Either way - at one point Warner Brothers was going to stop producing the General Lee, then agreed to produce it without the flag then finally after a petition and Ben Jones (Cooter) stepping in they decided to not do anything different. Not sure what that means for the "collector world" but I followed the news with curiosity and a maybe a bit of disbelief. Yesterday I received a General Lee from my kids for Christmas. I grew up with the show and now so have my kids thanks to the DVD box set. Funny thing: the box and car are displayed with the flag covered up. Once opened we could remove the sticker and display the ol' Navy Jack.

IMG_1948_zps47128587.jpg

IMG_1850_zps3c7be739.jpg

On a side note - it's a nice quality reproduction.

Last edited:
Now, if only they could get rid of the orange paint, turbine wheels, push bar & decals, they'd have a nice model

I kinda liked watching the old TV shows but never did really care for the way the car was painted up etc....

Like it or not the general lee is a part of pop culture and american car culture. I was 4 when the show first aired and i can still remember how excited i was. I didn't come from a car family(parents had a volvo and a beetle) so this was my first exposure to american perfomance cars. I didnt even know what kind of car it was, i just new i wanted one. As fate would have it, i would meet a car guy that was a mopar guy in my early teens and he became a mentor. And the rest is history. I now own a 68 charger.
I even remember when i was in kindergarten and the techer asking everyone what they wanted to be when they grew up. The other kids were giving the usual police, nurse firefighter answers. I said luke duke. Had the lunchbox and all.
Some other memorys i have are from pre school. The school was right behind my house, and i remember a converstion with the janitor and him telling me he had the same kind of car as the general lee. I remember saying it didnt look like it( even at 4 or 5 years old i could recognize the different lines) and he said it was. Now i know it was a 71 not a 69. He even popped the hood and picked me up so i could see the engine. Obviously, at the time i had no idea, but the orange oval air cleaner with big black block letters stuck in my memory.
And i remember the tailights as he peeled out from the curb and made a right turn.i have another story about my first babysitter getting a roadrunner but i will save that for another thread.

I never really liked the show, except for the cars and Catherine Bach.

Here's a hint. When the title of the post has anything "politcal" in it...probably needs to be in the political forum.:spam-press:

Heck, what's political about the content of the thread? Talking about how far over board that PC has become isn't grounds for the thread being moved to that forum imo and seem that the content is more about the TV show.

Catherine's better days are behind her........along with a big tookus.

Not true, sir. Daisy's lookin purdy hot again these days. She's been through a lot of personal tragedy. She's working out, has lost weight and is lookin pretty spiffy if you ask me.

Attachments

• Catherine Bach.jpg
    Catherine Bach.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 4,162
Heck, what's political about the content of the thread? Talking about how far over board that PC has become isn't grounds for the thread being moved to that forum imo and seem that the content is more about the TV show.

Oh I know....Just seems like anything with even a hint of it gets moved is all I am saying.

Here's a hint. When the title of the post has anything "politcal" in it...probably needs to be in the political forum.:spam-press:

Hint, hint

Don't make it into a political thread and it will stay here, but there are a couple members on this board that can't resist.

the GL & the rebel flag

:iamwithstupid: I liked the show as a kid, well I was a teenager anyway, I was never that crazy about the paint job with the 01 on the door side & I do like orange thou, but not flag on the roof, horn or push guard, blocking the grill, it messed up the cool lines of the Charger... I do fondly remember Catherine Bach & those Daisey Duke's or swim wear thou... I was a teenager & a guy.... I owned a 68 Charger R/T in 1974-1977 HS, I always got the, "where's the 01 & rebel flag &/or orange paint", question all the time, it got pretty stupid really, mostly the Chevy & Ford guys, the Gen 2 Chargers are my favorite cars, of all Mopars, I've had a dozen or so 68-70's, the General Lee "well not so much", but it's an Icon from my youth for sure, kind of from a cheesy 2nd rate TV show, with substandard acting & plot line thou, but I watched it anyway, so I don't know what that says about me...LOL... Probably just because of Daisey & the Charger GL jumping all over the place or other stunts... But unfortunately the Stars & Bars is pretty polarizing to some people, usually for over the top reasoning, or some sort PC stuff or some sort of bigotry... But, I do think there are way too many fakes/GL clones, kind of over done... But to each their own, I know better.... That's a "Cool Model of the GL"...

Attachments

• 73 Roadrunner & Daisy Duke DOH #1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,954
  • 69 Charger RT xtremelee Kenny Wayne Shepard.jpg
    69 Charger RT xtremelee Kenny Wayne Shepard.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,116
  • Car Babe & 69 Charger GL.jpg
    Car Babe & 69 Charger GL.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 40,538
I completely agree with Hemi Rebel and Budnicks. For a bunch of guys driving around in brightly painted cars festooned with cartoon characters (like my Super Bee) and silly sounding horns, we (me included) give the General Lee a lot of crap. Would I drive one? Not without dark tinted windows. But it does hold a special place in my memories as I too made sure I never missed an episode on TV. For all the silliness and bad acting it possibly turned more kids into Mopar fans than anything else from that era. And for that I'm grateful. I will admit though, my 6 year old daughter would rather watch an orange charger on TV jump the river than Hannah Montana pick out a new color of lip gloss.

forget about what the flag stands/ stood for ....anyone doing that to a charger should be horse whipped :whip2: .... and Catherine should be spanked by me :upside down:...well back then ..not now ....please not now :icon_puke_l:

Hmm. I just don't really get why anyone would care if a CSA flag was stuck on the roof of a car in a fictitious television show. I remember loving the show as a little kid... but it sure hasn't aged well. I just watch "Bullitt" instead.

Not true, sir. Daisy's lookin purdy hot again these days. She's been through a lot of personal tragedy. She's working out, has lost weight and is lookin pretty spiffy if you ask me.

definitely a 30 footer. good from far.............far from good.

Back