• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting a title

rrunner

Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
Anybody have a idea how to now get a title for a car that was off the road for more than 30 years? I bought a old Mopar, 50's, that's been off the road for over 30 years. The car came out of CA and even still has it's black plates. Well being it's not been registered in over 30 years CA dropped it out of their system. The guy I got the car from was to get a title, 1 year later still no title. I was told that getting a title got much much harder as of 1-1-10. Any ideas??? Thanks for any help or leads!

I guess you probably have a couple of options...

First option is to go through your state DMV. Here in MN we just show up with a few documents and apply for a title. The state will probably also required some type of bond which is insurance against someone showing up with valid proof of ownership of the car. Your state might be similar, or maybe not.

The second option is to get a title in a state that doesn't require titles for cars as old as yours. If you do a search for "title service" you should find a number of companies that specialize in this. Basically you pay them to shuffle the paper in their state to get a title which is then signed over to you and you can take that title to your DMV to register the car in your state. It depends upon the laws in the particular state but I suppose it might also be possible to have a friend in one of these states get a title and sign it over to you. Maybe someone else has experience with this?

Broadway Title in AL. I'm getting ready to use them but not quite ready yet.

You basically sell them the car (on paper) and they sell it back to you with an AL bill of sale.

Last time I checked it was $200-$250 and only by real mail, no internet forms.

If you use them, let us know how it goes.

I think i remember reading a thread on the HAMB where Broadway got into some hot water.

Auto Transport Service
Back