• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good HP starter to start High compression 440

Sorry to get back so late, but the new 440 Source starter is no better as it appears to be the same. Time to go to to the Powermaster like Get X'd stated.

What is your initial timing set at?

What is your initial timing set at?
like to know this and any more info also ?

i have had the same issues ,same car, two different engines, have had the seperate starter button , no change, first engine 10.5 , this current engine , 12.5 to 1 , no difference,, the 'dakota' and ebay starters the same , spin like crazy , but , as soon as any heat over 100 , it might spin fast for 2 secs , then like a dead battery ! just tried a new 850 battery same, new marine 1000 battery , same ,, i have a cable from engine to k member, starter to frame , battery to frame , battery to rear wheel housing , battery to starter for grounds including intake to firewall strap !
replaced bulkhead connector few years back, and the starter relay also i believe 7 yrs ago ?
if, according to the light, i set timing at about 20 ? it fires right up when cold, if i back it down , i get a fire in the carb !! and because the battery 'dies' in 3-4 secs, it is hard to suck the flames down !!
i am looking at something like this :
http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/T_114_12_series_parallel_switch.asp

https://www.ebay.com/i/133326629718...l8ogANYczMqT9pD7rv0AEzJJGhaSkg1waAj_TEALw_wcB
to add a second battery OR go with a 3 post ,16 volt battery ?
as it seems when i have the charger on the battery, 12.5-12.8 really won't turn it , like it is dead ! , when it says 13.8 , it spins good !? but kills the voltage fast ! in a couple seconds or so ? (every battery i have tried ) .
so, battery setup change and/or, a powermaster type starter added to the mix ? is how i am now leaning.

The best thing to do is go 16volt. I wish I did it when I built the car 8 years ago. Still running the stock mini starter.
Doug

When mine got hot it didn’t matter if the ignition was turned off. As soon as it was switched on the crank speed slowed causing a no start. Most ignitions will function on 16 volt. The only adjustment I made was the fuel pressure. It went from 6 to 9 psi. The starter itself has never been the issue. Before it needed constant charging. With a fresh charge, it wasn’t an issue (2 800 cca batteries). Now one single 675 cca battery. It can go laps without charge and still crank.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back