• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodies for the Road Runner..

BeepBeepRR

Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
After rebuilding the majority of the road runners front suspension there is still a popping noise when backing out of the drive way. The only 2 items that were not changed or rebuilt due to budget restraints. Were the lower control arms and the strut rods and bushings. I have the service manual for 1969. I will be doing some homework before replacing the lower control arms. As far as the sway bar I have the original sway bar but I hear it wont work with the QA1 lower control arms. So I will probably be sourcing a sway bar that will fit. I could do a rebuild and repair with braces but Mike decided to go with the QA1's

Swapped to headers a while back but now going back to HP manifolds. Sick of the headers burning spark plug wires. The headers are the 185.00 Summit headers and I suspect they were not designed well for the big block. Due to the fact that number 6 and 5 are super close to the headers. Anyhow going back to HP manifolds and brand new TTI downpipes. I will probably make some videos of the QA1 installation but It will be done from the ground. I don't have a lift... So it will be a real world poor guy video lol.

IMG_5368[1].JPG

Swapped to headers a while back but now going back to HP manifolds. Sick of the headers burning spark plug wires.
I (had) the same issue myself as well as boots going to hell, even high temp silicon boots. To maybe save you some work and keep your headers, try a set of ceramic boot spark plug wires. They completely fixed the whole issue for me. They are easy to remove from the plugs as well. Of course I still used wire looms but am very happy with results. The wire set ain't cheap though; I think I paid approx. $125.00 from Summit and that was several years ago! :)

Auto Transport Service
Back