• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodyear Polyglas GT E and F-70-14 tires

Voetom

Local time
5:02 AM
Reaction score
Group,
I have had these tires since 1980 and they have been on my 69 Barracuda for a short time only. They have been stored in the basement so they are not damaged or cracked. They are still soft and look great. I had F70-14s on the rear and E70-14s on the front.
I never cleaned any of the white letters off until now since I ran them letters in. They still whiten up nicely.
This Charger in the photo is sporting the same ones.
Do any of you know if they came on any particular car when new?
Can you all think of anyone I should contact to see if they'd like them? I showed my local tire supplier but it is tough to find folks locally that can appreciate things this old, but more so, need them for an old car for just sitting around at shows.
I need to move them out of the basement and I know they are very old but I do not want to just waste them.
Suggestions?
fullsizeoutput_4dd4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4dd6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4ddc.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4ddd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4de1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4de2.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4de6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4dee.jpeg

Last edited:
Try: eBay, Craig's list, stop by a local car show and pass out flyers.

Gee, nobody should ever drive on those tires. If they're not original equipment on some car, then they're worth -$20 (disposal fee). If you can verify they're original on something, they'd be worth something to someone.

I hate to spring this on you but those tires shouldn’t go on any car that’s going to be driven more than a few feet on and off a trailer or in and out of the garage. They are WAY past the expiration date (that’s not even on them because they’re so old). THey May look great but would be dangerous on the road. I know you have good intentions but probably best to pay the disposal fee.

Tires were made when they used REAL rubber and I suspect just fine being stored as they were. I took the, installed in '88, Michilen's off my Bee wheels 2 years ago and the entire crew at the tire shop asked me why "not a thing wrong with them". I have new in '90 Polyglass's on my Superbird and I can tell you they will be going AT speed on October 6th at Atlanta Motor Speedway. I'll let you know if I lose a quarter panel....

29 year old Road Kings hauling 10 tons a couple of months ago...

lift 019.JPG

I'm not scared of them considering the storage conditions. They are just not original to anything I own and it would cost more than I'm willing to pay to ship them to me. They look like a early to mid 80's tire. Some of the first outline white letter tires. I think a good deal for someone local to you.

With all due respect to the opinions of the other fine members of this forum, I never ever drive those tires, nothing last forever not even us, even if they made of real rubber this too cracks in time and get old too, not because they look cool or classy , you're gonna risk your life and or the life of your beloved ones over a set of tires, dispose those tires and buy new ones, this are more safe to drive, more secure, better build and with more technology than the one you have, old is not always more reliable or better build.

With all due respect to the opinions of the other fine members of this forum, I never ever drive those tires, nothing last forever not even us, even if they made of real rubber this too cracks in time and get old too, not because they look cool or classy , you're gonna risk your life and or the life of your beloved ones over a set of tires, dispose those tires and buy new ones, this are more safe to drive, more secure, better build and with more technology than the one you have, old is not always more reliable or better build.

I take no offense at your opinion, everyone has one. I bought a set of 4 BF Goodrich radial TA, 3 years ago mounted them on restored original
steel wheels on a 67 Coronet R/T that I have yet to complete. Two of these tires have blown out just sitting on a 4 post lift. The tires on my 67 Hemi GTX are about 20 years old. I went through the gears hard 4 times last weekend in the GTX and drove it about 50 miles in the process with no problems. No age cracks, separation, or other issues.
20190122_101927.jpg
20181012_174753.jpg

I'll trust the old Goodyear's.

Thanks for the comments. I understand the aging of rubber and I would not drive any distance at any speed on very old tires. i just sold (basically gave away) my 1985 vintage, 2000 mile Michelin skinny front tires to a local gentlemen who needed them for fitting and to use as rolling stock around his garage. They had been stored safely for years. He was a Michelin dealer and said he'd have no problem driving them if need be but he was building a car and was needing them in the garage. I am hopeful someone local is in the same boat on these.
Again, thank you all for the comments and suggestions so far.
Tom Hand

I had a car that I picked up a while back, 2012 maybe, that had new tires in 88 and less 1000 miles on them. Goodyear Eagle GTs. Stored well, climate control, and they looked like new. Things were hard as a rock but man did they do some awesome burnouts.

I agree that cars stored well can keep their tires for way longer than your daily driver that sits outside. I’m not changing tires on a car every 5 years just for the sake of changing tires.

Those tires looks mid-70s to me. There are codes on them that you figure out what year they were produced. Mostly all tires were P-Metric radials once 1980 rolled around.

69, the date codes on them put one of them in late 1980, the other three are early 1981. My local tire expert Rusty Small calls them "Disco Era" Polyglas tires.

I can't believe how white the white comes out after cleaning them. I never cleaned the blue soapy covering off them when new and they came out pretty nice for such old dogs!

Thank you all for your comments.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones' thoughts, opinions, and suggestions. It is likely fair to say these would make great display or "rolling around the garage tires for cars being worked on".

Shipping them would be cost prohibitive so I'll search for folks around the KC area needing them for non-driving uses.

Thank you all again.
Tom Hand

Thought I'd let you know that I got the tires dismounted today by a local Goodyear store. The owner said the tires felt and looked like new ones and was impressed with how soft they were. He was around when they first sold them so he recalled the dates pretty well.
There is something to be said about storing old rubber out of the sun, in a cool place, and not loaded! :)
Tom

Auto Transport Service
Back