• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gordon Lightfoot won't be down for breakfast

"Does anyone know where the love of
God goes when the waves turn the
minutes to hours?"

That sucks! Rest in peace!

His kind of talent is nowhere to be found these days. He wrote and sang in a way that made us feel every word and verse. Definitely one of my all-time favorites. May God comfort his family.

RIP. Another one of those great songwriter/singers that when one of there songs comes on the radio, you can’t help but put everything aside for a couple of minutes to listen and follow along with it.

I'm playing his music this morning.
God rest his soul.

RIP Mr. Lightfoot. He wrote and performed some fantastic music. If you read his life story, it's a miracle that he made it this far!

"you won't read that book again because the endings just too hard to take"

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald came out mere months after the ship went down. I was in Minnesota with my grandparents on vacation the Summer after the sinking occurred, and a couple of my cousins knew one of the crew. The song really hit them hard. They both thought the release of the song was too soon after the tragedy, though their tone softened up a bit as time went on.

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald came out mere months after the ship went down. I was in Minnesota with my grandparents on vacation the Summer after the sinking occurred, and a couple of my cousins knew one of the crew. The song really hit them hard. They both thought the release of the song was too soon after the tragedy, though their tone softened up a bit as time went on.
The tragedy happened in November of '75, and looking online, it says the song was released in August of '76. 9 months doesn't seem out of line to me?
I was a teenager at the time, and was penpals with a friend who'd lived across the street, but moved. One day in '76 I was writing him a letter telling him about going to an open house at the Navy base in our hometown, and how I'd toured a P3 Orion based there that the crewman in the plane said was the plane that located the Edmund Fitzgerald's wreck in Lake Superior. P3's are sub hunter planes, so finding a sunken ore freighter was a good use for them.
As I'm writing him, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald started playing on the top 40 station on my radio. That was the first time I heard the song, I still remember writing, "they are playing a song about it on the radio right now!!!"
Quite a coincidence and maybe the only song I am sure I can remember the first time I ever heard it.

Another one gone..... R.I.P.

Rockers from the good ol' real rock days, dropping like flies of late

RIP Gordon

Great musician. Loved playing the Edmund Fitzgerald on my 12 string.

Another great song. My buddy has been on the RR as long as I can remember.

Rest in Piece Mr Lightfoot, you brought so much joy to so many people. Thank you

RIP to one of the greats!

side note...my brother was up from Georgia this weekend....he brought a phono pre amp we were testing and tuning, we played all four sides of "Gords Gold" as a test mule. one of the best records I own.

In his latter years, he looked like the Cryptkeeper.

Fdam%2Fassets%2F230502100955-gordon-lightfoot-2019.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back